Vinyl Click flooring......any experts out there ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Decided to fit it in the downstairs bathroom.
Floor is asphalt and good condition.
Question is........
Must I use underlay ??
One potential supplier says I must.
Mr Google indicates that IF the floor is level and NOT concrete then its not needed.
Any thoughts from people that know.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
for the marginal price of the underlay, I'd say it would be much more preferable with it, for insulation of sound and heat purposes if nothing else.

what is the non concrete surface its going onto?

is also nicer on your knees when you are laying it :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I used to work in the flooring trade with carpets and carpet tiles but on the sales side. I do know a bit about flooring installation.
The floor has to absolutely level and billiard table smooth otherwise any imperfections will wear through the vinyl.
I would imagine they're recommending underlay as that help with any imperfections. If you don't want to use that and your floor is not perfect you'll need to put down a latex self leveling screed.
What do the makers recommend? Loose lay, perimeter stick or a full peel up adhesive? Is it sheet vinyl not tiles?
Seem to remember there might be a problem with vinyl discolouration on Asphalt floors if laid directly, better check that out.
Top tip: If you're laying it yourself cut a paper template first if the area is not too large.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
for the marginal price of the underlay, I'd say it would be much more preferable with it, for insulation of sound and heat purposes if nothing else.

what is the non concrete surface its going onto?

is also nicer on your knees when you are laying it :okay:
Ahhh but its not marginal.
I only need 4 sq mtrs. The guy tells me I have to buy a roll @£100:eek:.....thats more than the flooring will cost.

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to work in the flooring trade with carpets...
I hear you were very popular with certain sicilian clients.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Decision made.....I will use underlay but find some where I don't need a full roll @ £100.
Thanks all for the advice.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For myself I'd rather use the old fashioned lino. Completely green product with no nasties.

OldShep

Über Member
I’m laying a floor today, yes use something underneath at £100 he’s having a laugh. As said above its much better to kneel on when laying.
Ask a fitter for an off cut
0BDDEF65-F163-40CD-A874-027C7C76D694.jpeg

Top Bottom