Viral marketing and leafleting to promote cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have seen some good techniques for promoting the Labour party, and to remove the current Government on twitter and other social media.In the short term I think social media will play a BIG hand in the 2015 election.

What does all this mean for cycling?

Well I think we could use the same techniques for promoting cycling. 250 leaflets costs 15 quid but a clever design or video costs very little. It has to show people how they can empower themselves with a bicycle... losing weight, saving time or money...

I know its naughty but we could surreptitiously leave business cards with a hashtag or weblink in various places. Cafes, work restaurants/staff rooms, on people's cars. Illegal but highly tempting LOL!

Leafleting isn't illegal, however. I've messed with a number of poster style projects in the past year and I think something like this could be a possibility. Tell non-cyclists the options open to them, where they can find the information, where the cycle routes are, the training guides etc. Tell drivers how much money they can save and over what distances cycling is suitable. Giving real world examples of local riders also would help.

Another idea would be for riders to do a video diary or an "about me and my bike" video on a certain day and flooding somewhere like youtube with many, many videos on that day would mean a viral trend would occur. Flood the blogs and letters pages of newspapers with empowering advice....

..if this all sounds airy fairy then we should remember that campaigners and companies have been using similar methods for the past few years with good effect. I think we can use this.

Ideas?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you do it, make sure you put QR codes on the cards and leaflets!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have a QR app on my phone, but I confess to only having used it about 3 or 4 times!

I think QR codes are big in Japan but they don't seem to have taken off quite as much over here.
I think the problem occurred in that they were not properly explained to the public when they came out here. A bit of a shame. Asia seems to love these things in general

classic33

Leg End Member
Get the one video going viral, rather than attempt to do the same with, say twenty.
Paperwise, we'd have to try and get the same week at least. Getting the same day might prove impossible.

sidevalve

Über Member
Not too sure what it would do. If you're going to cycle you will - if not no amount of leaflets or internet cack [and yes unless you're about five [or of that mental age, you will simply regard it as such] is going to persuade you. Political arguments are different they point out [or pretend to] things and issues people might not [or don't want to] know.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There was a fad of putting them on adverts above the urinals in the gents. I can't think why that fad faded...
There was a prank video on 'Rude Tube' recently where somebody pretended to take photos of other men peeing into urinals. He had taken the precaution of sticking a bit of tape across the phone's camera lens, but some guys were lashing out first and asking questions later. I think "Ha, ha, only joking - I didn't really take a photo of your penis" is not always going to stop you getting battered - not a great idea!

Top Bottom