Virtual Classrooms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anybody use any virtual classroom software - I train adults normally in a classroom environment on in house IT systems - obviously I can't do this at the moment !!! -Ive looked at webex but but been a bit dissapointed TBH - Any other ideas / suggestions out there ?

tom73

Guru
Moodle

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We use Google Gsuite in my school. With Google classroom, and Google drive amongst other Google software. It works well and has some good features. For example, you can create a work sheet in Google docs, then classroom will take that document and disseminate a copy to each student in the class. When it does that, it simultaneously creates a folder in your drive with all of the students work in.

I've no idea though if the school pays for it or what it pays, but generally it works well.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am forced to use WebEx as a whole in my company (ex Cisco CEO), the WebEx Training component is possibly the worst package I have ever had the pleasure of using. When I give my trainings about half the time is spent trying to get around the idiosyncrasies of the system, never ever try using breakout rooms you will never get your trainees communicating as the unmute button only works 50% of the time and is in a different location from the main room.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Google converts word docs though and you can also easily convert the other way. As for data, that's not something I worry about, it's the schools data, not mine. If their happy to use it then it's good enough for me.

We also used Moodle quite extensively before the Gsuite and it does have some really good features if properly maintained and set up. However, I much prefer Gsuite.

Edit: since home schooling has kicked off, Google have added a new feature in classroom, the ability to set up a Google meet (Video Conferencing) with all of your students. Really useful and like most of their stuff really simple.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Not everyone has word :okay:
My teaching materials are mine and takes a good deal of time to do so i'm not about to give it away.
Moodle have made a good about free due to current situation. The best part is it's open source so easy to change and add stuff form other sources.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
That's fair enough, I get what you mean about looking after the resources you've created. I do store all mine locally and download what I create online. We are lucky in also having MS office on our work laptops so I can use that.

I was sad that my school did neglect our Moodle platform. Us lesser mortals had no access to it's inner workings so we had to rely on the tech guys. They ran it down for a few years whilst they dabbled with inferior platforms before settling on Gsuite. Moodle had some good features I really missed. For example, I could put a year's worth of resources on there and I could hide what I didn't want the students to see.

Last edited:
Top Bottom