Virus in Perspective

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Most of the narrative is irrelevant. But the bit above is important.
The current covid 19 virus has the same potential, it’s just we have modified the way we deal with it.

<rant>

THIS! A thousand times this!

The number of people saying how trivial the impact of COVID is is starting to really get my goat. The reason it's no killing millions is because of the action taken against it!!

</rant>

D

Deleted member 26715

I’m not sure whether your serious
deadly

Whinge means to complain..
I disagree, "To whinge" means to me to complain for no good reason, the murder of 1000 service personnel by a PM not a Whinge & is disrespectful of the people who gave their lives.

The nature of the OP was about putting things in perspective with one another. My point was that whilst Blair was a nobber he was better than Hitler.
If that the best you can do, compare Blair to Hitler to try excuse your language, don't bother!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
<rant>

THIS! A thousand times this!

The number of people saying how trivial the impact of COVID is is starting to really get my goat. The reason it's no killing millions is because of the action taken against it!!

</rant>
It’s just like the millennium bug, that didn’t come to much either, despite the hype at the time.

(For the hard of thinking, it didn’t cause too many dramas precisely because of the extensive preparation and mitigation work carried out in advance.)

It’s just like the millennium bug, that didn’t come to much either, despite the hype at the time.

(For the hard of thinking, it didn’t cause too many dramas precisely because of the extensive preparation and mitigation work carried out in advance.)
1588704090586.png

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Unfortunately, keeping things in perspective isn't helpful.

This thing is more virulent and, left to its own devices, has a far higher mortality rate than Spanish flu. The difference today is medical understanding, medicine, healthcare, communication, and a willingness and ability by governments to act. The caution and a century of scientific progress are all that's keeping us from being in the same situation.

As for the rest of it, plenty of us have been in the green machine and served in conflict zones. It never goes away, and I'm sure one day it will come back writ large. Like ice ages, mass death by war waxes and wanes, but never leaves entirely - we merely enjoy the brief hiatus in between.

If anything, sitting back and worrying about perspective is a shocking attitude. We should be doing the opposite - we've just had a ringside seat while a virus, combined with rapid mass travel, brings the entire world to its knees ina couple of weeks. The only other thing that could do tpso much damage to the entire world society in so little time is thermonuclear war. We really need to be learning from that, and making massive fundamental changes to the way society is run. Just sighing and trying put it in perspective is going to get us all killed.

That's CC post of the day right there Drago.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Speaking of perspective, it pays to remember that after all the horrors listed in the OP the world stepped back from the brink as I think we were all sick of death and destruction (well, maybe apart from the yanks :rolleyes:), so did our best to work together to avoid such events in future.

The post-war era is widely hailed as uncharacteristically free of major conflict (well, maybe apart from that involving the yanks) and in many ways it seems that those living through this time period have seen the best quality of life, prospects, security etc of any generation in modern times. I think it's clear from the way the world is going that this isn't going to last..

My point was that whilst Blair was a nobber he was better than Hitler.
Blair was less successful at killing people than Hitler and his motives were different, but I think discussing them in the same context is legit.

Blair is still a stone-cold scumbag clearly happy to sacrifice the lives of others to perpetuate his insatiable greed and hunger for power. I suspect the only reason more didn't die as a result of his actions is because it wouldn't have further served his agenda.

A textbook psychopath and an extremely dangerous,hateful individual IMO.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
What rot. There were loads of W.M.D. in Iraq, and no intelligence dossiers were sexed up in the invention of that fiction :whistle:

At risk of turning this into a political discussion, if Blair had simply said "Look, Saddam is a bad egg, he's a danger to stability of the region and to the supply of oil, so he needs to go" most people would have probably gone along with that. On the other hand, if you had to go home to cherie Blair every night you'd also do your very best to create a crisis to keep you at work late.

Last edited:
Top Bottom