Vision Metron Carbon 40 Disc wheel freehub failure.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A freehub bearing has collapsed after only 2 months on my pal's Vision Metron carbon wheel. The Trek dealer doesn't have the special tool needed to remove it so he's had to give my pal a new wheel off an unassembled bike.

Anybody else had such an early failure on this wheel?

Last edited:

lpretro1

It is usually only a big allen key to get a freehub body off - seems odd that a bike shop wouldn't have one and then it s just tapping bearings out and pressing new in - but 2 months is very poor life (assuming that your pal hasn't been riding in a swamp!!). Not cheap wheels either. At least the dealer didn't argue about it!

gbb

Legendary Member
While we don't know the assembly methods, it'd be easy to suspect the bearing (s) were poorly fitted. You can damage bearings quite easily if care isn't taken and they may not last that long once damaged.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
As I wrote, there is a new design of special tool needed and Trek haven't yet given this to their dealers. AFAIK sealed freehubs don't have replaceable bearings, although "open" freehubs like Hope do have two of them, which can be drifted out and replaced.

As I wrote, there is a new design of special tool needed and Trek haven't yet given this to their dealers. AFAIK sealed freehubs don't have replaceable bearings, although "open" freehubs like Hope do have two of them, which can be drifted out and replaced.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sealed" vs "open" but I've never come across a cartridge bearing freehub in which the bearings cannot be replaced.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I mean closed freehubs like Shimano's which as far as I know can't be serviced.

Top Bottom