Visit to Shropshire -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nosaj

We are spending a week here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Luckily the wife has agreed that I can take my bike and as I live in essex I want to hunt out some proper hills, however this is a family holiday as oppossed to a cycling holiday for me so any time I do get will be limited so do want to make the best of any training opportunties I can get.

Does anyone have any local knowledge on a route that will take in a good long winding hill Thinking more of the long draggy continental type climb as opposed to a short sharp shock. It does not have to be a circular route an out and back would be fine nor necessarily a pretty route, however low traffic and a decent view would be a bonus.
Also if any one has any family friendly route ideas would be very glad to hear as well. We have a 7 year old who can ride fine and a 3 yr old on a tag along

Many thanks

kayaker

Regular
Hello
Clicked on the google link and it was just a map of uk & ireland. Where specifically in shropshire are you staying?
Chris

OP
OP
N

Nosaj

No it doesn't, for some reason when it links it swaps the post code to DG as opoosed to GD. Post Code is SY5 9GD.

Thks

kayaker

Regular
Hello,
Well Shrewsbury is pretty cycle friendly. If you want some climbs the Ironbridge Gorge has some nice ones and you could do a circuit/route from wrekin down through eaton constantine then up to much wenlock and back to ironbrigde via broseley (can send you a link) family could visit enginuity (kids engineering museum very good - depending on age) you meet up with them - or carry on for a few hundred yards and go up Jiggers bank which is listed in the 100 best cycling climbs if memory serves me correct. Also in the Gorge is the Bicycle Hub which should have some info on routes, there is one from ironbridge to bridgenorth which maybe suitable for family ride see link below: http://www.shropshirecycling.co.uk/route/bridgnorth-to-ironbridge.php

Also there is the kilotogo wild edric route which is not too far from you.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
N

Nosaj

Many thanks for that what about heading over towards church stretton and the Bur Way? or would that be a bit of a way out ? I know that the highest point is brown clee hill near ludlow so wouldn't mind having a go at that but it looks a bit of a schlep

Failing that I suppose its head over to snowdonia

kayaker

Regular
Not cycled much in south shropshire, gets hillier in the south (church stretton aka little switzerland), a friend did the wild edric and i think there is a nice 16km downhill stretch in the Teme valley which maybe enjoyable.

Will you be using gps?

OP
OP
N

Nosaj

No GPS, I was ideally looking (hoping) for was just a straight(ish) out and back route fairly close to SY5 9GD that took me up the equivalent of a col du tourmalet. We are staying with some friends who have just moved to the area, we visited them last year (sans my cycle) and I noticed all these lovely lumps and bumps all over the place. Trouble is they probably have good local knowledge but they are not cyclists and what they would deem a challenging hill, may not be the same idea as mine.

Trouble is I only have google maps and the internet to work with but no real knowledge of the area. It appears hilly near Church Stretton on Google, so if someone can identify any significant climbs that are quite near Ford End and are OK for a road bike I can always do the map work to get me to an from them it its just knowing what point to head towards if you get my drift

Cheers for the links and pointers I will work through them.

kayaker

Regular
Have you tried using mapmyride, its free and can plan rides and it rates the climbs in terms of category and also can see rides in locality that others have posted which will probably mean the roads are good for what you wish to do.

ushills

Veteran
The Long Mynd is relatively close and a good hill to try out. Good Views from the top and a proper fast decent.

Ho ho! Look for Cycle Route 81 from Welshpool to Shrewsbury - in that direction. Take the train to Welshpool (no booking required) and bike back. I tried it once (and walked a bit too......). Some sadist put a cycle route up Long Mountain. Other than that, N (Severn Valley) and E of Shrewsbury is not too challenging (which is why I go there often!) - but lovely rides on quiet rural roads - so some good family cycling. Continuing on 81 through the city centre takes you along the river - perfect afternoon family route. Route 45 from Upton Magna to Shawbury and back would also be a very pleasant family ride. RidewithGPS or BikeHike will show you lots of quiet routes in this area. Hope you enjoy the area.

Holdsworth

Über Member
Head over towards Pontesbury and up towards the Stiperstones and head anywhere from there, plenty of lumpy bits in that area if you take a peek at the OS Explorer maps. Cothercott Hill near Pulverbatch is a cracking descent which can easily get you above 50mph on a relatively straight rural road. Asterton Bank has a gradient in excess of 20% for a mile and looks to be one of the hardest ascents in the UK. There is also the Bur Way descending into Church Stretton which is very steep and twisty.

I love cycling in Shropshire, I just wish I lived down there so I could explore all of what it has to offer. The landscape is much more interesting than the local flat, generic farmland of the Cheshire countryside around Crewe. It may be pleasant but it doesn't compare to the Shropshire Hills.

Top Bottom