Visits from the fairy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Not been visited by the p******e fairy for a good while now. Did over 3.5k miles last year with only 2, then today I've had 2, on seperate bikes & rides :smile:
This morning out on the tricross & after about 15 miles a tiny flint pierced the tyre & caused a slow loss of air :smile: & then went out on the MTB this afternoon & got a flat rear within a mile :smile: Not sure what caused that one yet, as i just hosed the bike down & left it in the garage until morning. Hopefully that's my share of visits for this year done with :tongue:

longers

Legendary Member
Soltydog said:
Hopefully that's my share of visits for this year done with :smile:

Me too, have had 6 this year so far for various reasons. More than I had in the whole of last year.

Have priced up a pair of M+'s in 700 by 25. I think the sooner I get the shop to order them the better.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's usually tiny, flinty bits of grit from the gritters at this time of year, I find.
New or more p resistant tyres may be needed. They seem to become more vulnerable with age

gavintc

Guru
I only had 2 last year. Well, this year I am up to 3 already!! I had to use my frame pump for the first time since I got it a year ago and was a little irritated to find that 15 mins pumping only produced 75 psi. I was at work and had time over lunch.

Cranky

Glad it's not just me! No problems at all last year until December, then two in a week and two more this month, all on the rear. This is on Conti GP 4 Seasons, too! I'm awaiting a replacement from Wiggle as we speak.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This a dangerous thing to say but I haven't been visited for over a year since changing to Schwalbe Stelvios. They're about an inch thick and I change them back in the Spring.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Update on my original post

The morning after my 2 last week, i went into the garage to see my MTB had 2 flats, not just the one. After sorting it yesterday I had a thorn in each :biggrin:
Then on Saturday doing my ton ride, got another on the tricross, this time in the front :sad: Once again it was a tiny flint, so I'm going to ditch the spesh borough tyres & yesterday I ordered a pair of marathon+. The sooner they arrive the better, can't cope with 4 flats in a week :sad:

I'll have 4 spesh borough tyres, hardley used up for grabs if anyone wants to make me an offer :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
On Sunday I pumped this up with a track pump:

GoodyearWranglersin750X16.jpg

I don't mind admitting that I was a bit out of breath for a few seconds after I finished.

Cranky said:
Glad it's not just me! No problems at all last year until December, then two in a week and two more this month, all on the rear. This is on Conti GP 4 Seasons, too! I'm awaiting a replacement from Wiggle as we speak.
How long did you get out of you're 4 seasons? I fitted a pair to my winter/ general bike the Dec before last (just over a year ago) and touch wood I've had 0 in circa 3000mls.

Cranky

HLaB said:
How long did you get out of you're 4 seasons? I fitted a pair to my winter/ general bike the Dec before last (just over a year ago) and touch wood I've had 0 in circa 3000mls.

A very disappointing 6 months on the rear tyre, probably 1000 miles. It had a flat area of wear all the way round which was very noticeable to the touch so I suppose the rubber had gone thin. I regularly maintain the pressure at 120psi. It's not as if I carry any significant weight on the bike and I'm 83kg myself which is hardly excessive. The previous one lasted a bit longer and the front has been on about 18 months with no problems or significant wear. I had expected more from them really but I see yours are doing well. It's all a bit of a mystery.

Top Bottom