Visually impaired - can't cycle alone alot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daniel Jones

Hi,

I'm doing the route with 5 others in August. My eyesight is okish but a bit poor at speed and peripheral vision. They have said I can cycle in the middle and not lead. However, my only concern is not getting in enough training miles alone. What sports do you suggest to get me cycle fit? I run marathons if that's any help.

Thanks,

MikeW-71

Veteran
Turbo trainer, then you can train on the bike indoors when you can't go out with the others. It will keep exercising your cycling muscles which is what you need.

Best of luck with the ride. Be safe :smile:

OP
OP
D

Daniel Jones

Thanks, I had thought of turbo trainer. Hopefully it'll get me into shape! Any other suggestions? I don't really like swimming but ill do it if people say it's awesome.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome Daniel!
Maybe it's just the way it comes across on line, but the sentence
They have said I can cycle in the middle and not lead.
sounds a bit dictatorial :smile:
Good luck with your training: a pal cycling at your pace alongside would be ideal.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Thanks, I had thought of turbo trainer. Hopefully it'll get me into shape! Any other suggestions? I don't really like swimming but ill do it if people say it's awesome.
The best way to get better at riding a bike... is to ride the bike :smile: Swimming is another non-impact sport that is great for fitness, but if you already run marathons, you already have that.

To touch on Pat's concern above, is your impairment something that would be helped with glasses/contacts? Either can be used for cycling if so.

As someone who has transitioned from running to bike every spring for the last few years I can tell you that what you will have is stamina but you'll lack strength (read speed if you like) and adaptation to the position of riding, so sore bum, shoulders, wrists, neck, back etc might all be possible to differing degrees, depends a lot on you and the bike. You'll have good core strength from the running so adaptation might be quicker for you. There is no substitute for that other than riding. Don't give up the running and if you can, run more hills, they say it helps and my experience seems to bear that out.

jay clock

Massive member
One of my triathlon club mates is blind and does 95% of all his training on turbo trainer and treadmill. For swimming he can make out the line on the pool floor, but uses a beeper on his head to judge distances..... You may see him two years at Rio if he gets selected......

Brains

Legendary Member
Sign up for as many (at least one!) of the 60-100 mile charity rides as you can get to, there are usually enough cyclists around so that you can see the lay of the land.
You'll find someone who does 'your' speed and you can latch onto their wheel

What I find works best is if you can get the person you are following to put on their rear light, ideally on a low 'knightrider' sequence (where the individual LED's flash one after the other) It makes it easier to follow and see the sudden dips, and speed and direction changes.

OP
OP
D

Daniel Jones

Thanks for all the help.

It did come across wrong. When my friend asked if I'd like to come along I told her my concerns about missing cars or potholes etc so she said that I could ride second and rotate but never take first. I said I'd feel guilty about not being in the headwind but they all said it was ok and not to worry.

I do wear glasses, always have done. I had an operation (5th so far) on my eyes and it caused my right eyelid to shut pretty much all the way, unless consciously choose to open it. This means my right side vision sucks.

wintonbina

Über Member
Well it sounds as if you have some really good friends!
I would also say a turbo trainer but I would also do as many spinning classes as you can (or afford). They will bring you up to speed (sorry for the pun :shy:).
Good luck to you.
Tony

Top Bottom