Vittoria Corsa Graphene - sidewall peeling on a 500-mile tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
About four weeks ago I put a new pair of Vittoria Corsa Graphene 25mm tyres onto a pair of road wheels and have done under 500 miles since, always on-road and in the dry. They've been properly inflated and not been rubbing, yet the sidewall is peeling.

However, on moving the wheels between bikes today I noticed both tyres have evidence of the sidewall peeling. On one it's just starting and on the others there's several patches where it's peeled, leaving the carcass exposed:

dsc00514-jpg.jpg

Would they be safe to ride on? Can they be repaired?

Note: I'm not taking any chances with them, so they've been put on the For Sale board for a beer tokens donation.

dsc00511-jpg.jpg

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'd be contacting the supplier - 500 dry miles is nothing for a tyre. It looks like they may have been kept somewhere hot and the rubber is perishing, Shouldn't be like that and they cant be repaired. And I would not ride on them with the inner showing like that - recipe for a blow-out!

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Rim brakes? Overheated on a descent? (unlikely I should think in your case, but possible). As long as the casing is sound and only the sidewall is affected, there shouldn't be any immediate danger, but I think I'd want to have a word with the supplier about guarantees.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks @iluvmybike and @Ian H . No over-heating given they've been used on local rides in March.

The minor issue is they came via and eBay purchase in November last year. How they've been stored (they came unboxed) I don't know but it looks like £40 lost.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Thanks @iluvmybike and @Ian H . No over-heating given they've been used on local rides in March.

The minor issue is they came via and eBay purchase in November last year. How they've been stored (they came unboxed) I don't know but it looks like £40 lost.
Oh dear - no chance then. Looks to me like they have been stored somewhere too warm or they are quite old to get that happening😠

Top Bottom