Vittoria Diamente Pro vs Rubino Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sayek1

What's the difference between these two. They both talk about durability and puncture protection in oodles, but one has 150 TPI and the other 250 TPI. How much difference does this make and what's the view on durability?

How many miles should I expect out of them if they are used on good condition roads most of the time - roughly.

They are both priced the same and to be honest I can't tell the difference in speed/resistance. Durability (to punctures and long life) is my priority although I do want to balance this against not having something that slows me down too much - I like Marathon+'s, but I do think these are very slow.

I have also got some Ultra Gatorskin (I think thats what they are called).

Thanks

buddha

Veteran
Both of these are good tyres IMO.

The Rubino Pro is very hard wearing (I'm up to 5000 miles on my commute/shopping bike and am about to replace). Very puncture resistant although maybe a little slippy in the wet. I used them through winter (not in snow/ice) with no problems. Puncture wise ... what's a puncture?:biggrin:

The Diamante Pro is softer and more supple (higher tpi?) than the Rubino. Slightly better handling when it's wet too. But I guess less durable - though I've had no problems. I think rolling resistance is less too, but I have these on my 'go faster' bike so can't tell for sure.

Going by what you say, I'd opt for the Rubino Pro.

Where are you getting these at the same price? I got mine from Ribble, which I thought was a good price, and the Diamante is more expensive.

OP
OP
S

sayek1

Hi Buddah, On wiggle there are numerous Rubino Pro types - they vary in price from about £12 for a 60 TPI to about £24 for 150 TPI????

The Diamante Pros start at around £22, but also have a different type up to about £30.

I don't have much idea as to what the various types offer apart from folding/non-folding and the various TPI's.

Any light you could shed would be useful.

Thanks for the advice. Why is TPI important - I would have thought the more threads the greater the strength, but this doesn't appear to be the case?

redddraggon

Blondie
The higher the TPI the thinner threads have to be to fit into that inch. So the higher the TPI the more supple it is and the lower resistance it has.

Rubino Pros are what I consider training tyres, and this is what I use for training. Diamantes are more like Michelin Pro Race 3s, lighter and more race orientated.

I only use folding tyres - lighter, easier and cheaper to ship, and the price is rarely much different to the rigid equivalent.

buddha

Veteran
I'd go for the Rubino Pro (folding ones) - they are lighter than the Rubino (wire bead). Your legs will thank you for it!
BTW High-on-Bikes are doing the 120tpi version for £14.95 each, with free shipping I think.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I had plenty of cuts in my Rubino's after a few hundred miles, 2,000 miles later they are shreaded and being replaced by diamente's. Haven't tried them yet but as they are the level up, i presume they will be better.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I've been using Diamante's for about 4 months now and really like them. Very inspiring on descents and feel pretty sure-footed too. Watch out for diesel in the wet though (as much as any tyre), I went over some on a roundabout when leant over and the rear slipped but then gripped. Still a bit of a brown-short moment!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Sorry to hijack...

Been looking at Vittoria tyres myself too. Specing up a fowl weather winter bike and want max grip during heavy rain, LOL! I know they have a load of new ones out, only know the Rubino Pro from what others have told me (looks like good rubber on par with my Racelite experiences). The RBs probably wont suit me.

What do you lot think of the Open Corsa Evo Tech? Ideally I'd like some colour in there but I guess you cant have everything. :becool: What else is good in really nasty weather? I'll be riding down some steep hills with bends so grip is important in the wet - really important

redddraggon

Blondie
downfader said:
Specing up a fowl weather winter bike and want max grip during heavy rain, LOL!

Winter bike? You want something pretty much robust

downfader said:
What do you lot think of the Open Corsa Evo Tech?

Wet weather RACE tyres, not really winter tyres.

You sound like you want some Rubino Pros or Open Paves - The Paves even come with a nice bit of colour.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
redddraggon said:
Winter bike? You want something pretty much robust

Wet weather RACE tyres, not really winter tyres.

You sound like you want some Rubino Pros or Open Paves - The Paves even come with a nice bit of colour.

Bit unsure of both of those - I've read online of them losing grip on downhill corners. :becool:

Edit.. Rubino Pro Tech - its all black but they do a 28 (will work for winter) and with aquagrip. That might work. Didnt realise there were 3 different Rubinos.

redddraggon

Blondie
Open Paves? They are the grippiest of the grippy. And I've not have any issues with Rubino Pros and I use them on the wet, damp, quiet (so tend to be a bit slimy - thin coat of moss?), lanes of North Wales.

Top Bottom