Vittoria open Pave CG and Latex Tubes (First ride report)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Being a bit of a chicken, but wanting to ride in the cold and wet to build my miles up I read that these tyres were about the best for those conditions. As another plus, the way they are constructed apparently makes them feel like a tubular. I have never riden a tubular so I can compare.

I also pared them with a set of latex tubes that were on offer at decathlon for £4.99 each. When I say offer, they had all the tubes in one section with only one price... £4.99 so I asked the till to honour it and they did. Usual price is £8 I think.

As usual, test conditions were not Ideal, or ironically, they were. Warm and dry, so I cant test the cold and wet claim, but I can test the comfort.

And comfortable they are! Obivously over smooth tarmac there is no difference to the 23mm pro race 4 with latex tubes I have been using, but when it came to the chip and seal tarmac, and they broken bits the tyres definatly had a smoothing effect. Much less buzz getting to the bike, and felt very grippy too.
I think I could tell they were slower than the pro4s, but not by a whole load and Im not sure I could tell the difference in speed on a blind test, just the comfort woul show through.

I was worried about the green strip looking naff, but when the tyres were new it looks not so bad on my grey Secteur, but after this 10 mile run the green bits are very dark.

Im looking forward to putting some miles on these and will report back when there is some more long term use to report on.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/14023/Vittoria-Open-Pave-Evo-CG-320tpi-Folding-Tyre.html

Top Bottom