Vitus 979 OLN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

Hi guys
Currently looking st a vitus 979 Frame. Beleive the OLN is 126
I would like to use 8 speed sti shifters on it but not sure if the 8 speed will fit the OLN
( will use any sti shifter )

Obviously spreading the OLN And cold setting isn't an option with this frame

Any advice

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You need to know the OLN on the particular frame you are interested in, they are often wider than the figure quoted. I've had a couple of frames with 126mm dropouts that took a 130mm hub without problems, on one the wheel just slotted in with next to no resistance and the other needed no more than gentle thumb pressure to go in.

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

You need to know the OLN on the particular frame you are interested in, they are often wider than the figure quoted. I've had a couple of frames with 126mm dropouts that took a 130mm hub without problems, on one the wheel just slotted in with next to no resistance and the other needed no more than gentle thumb pressure to go in.
Apparently the OLN is 126
And looking at spec sheets it hasn't changed on any models of the frame
I dont want to force anything in as the 979 frames are screwed and glued and I'm not sure if the joints will take any force without cracking or splitting

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Apparently the OLN is 126
And looking at spec sheets it hasn't changed on any models of the frame
I dont want to force anything in as the 979 frames are screwed and glued and I'm not sure if the joints will take any force without cracking or splitting
The spec may say 126mm, but they often come up around 128mm. It is worth checking that particular frame to see what it actually is.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm assuming that eight speed spindles are 130mm. I fitted one to a Dynatech frame with the dropouts measured at 128mm by using only gentle thumb pressure to open it out and that ran that for at least the further six or more years with no problems. Baring in mind Dynatechs were bonded only and did not have the added security of being screwed together.

Ajax Bay

Guru
get an 8 or 9 speed cassette that's slightly wider ratio than you want, remove a cog and spacer, fit the resulting shorter cassette on
Needs to be 8 speed cassette - to match the OP's STIs. Maybe need a 1mm spacer inside the large sprocket. On this cassette:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-sora-hg50-8-speed-road-cassette/rp-prod1864
13-26 - 13.14.15.17.19.21.23.26
with a 13t (outer) sprocket you can lose the 14t second smallest and still have a sensible gap going from 13t to 15t. Shifting may be slightly less smooth for that change (up).
As Sheldon says (edited): "[the larger] sprockets and spacers are in bolted or riveted assemblies"
Take care to check (before buying) that the spider has max 6 sprockets riveted together. This Shimano site suggests that all 11t cassettes have 7 riveted sprockets.
Also take care when you do the indexing that you set the spare click on the 8 speed STIs on the smallest (of the 7) sprockets (so you'll need to shift two clicks to get onto the second smallest sprocket). If you put it the other end, there's a danger you'll damage the STI straining for one larger gear as the climb ticks up - and it'll be your fingers and the STI strength against the limit screw (guess which will 'win').
@TheDoctor 's suggestion is a better, safer option than straining the OP's lovely Vitus frame (I too have a 'screwed and glued ALAN) by trying repeatedly to shove a wide freehub into a frame the drop-out OLD of which is not designed for it.

Top Bottom