Vitus 979

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, the danger in being sat at home over Christmas is the increased temptation to potter about online...

I've been searching for a nice, unbranded 979 for ages and finally one popped up locally. There's lots of Vitus-made frames floating around with others' garish branding on them (Peageots, KAS_replicas etc) but I've always preferred the plainer version and couldn't resist this one.

Currently it's sporting:
  • Campagnolo Nuovo Record front mech & rear mech
  • Campagnolo Triomphe downtube shifters
  • Modolo Speedy brakes
  • Cinelli bars and stem
  • Stronglight crankset
  • Campagnolo pedals
  • Mavic hubs with Rigida rims
Current issues are that it won't smoothly engage the largest sprocket: the freewheel has a larger final step up to what would have been considered a bailout gear in the hairy-chested 1980s. Also, the mixed-up components are nagging at me.

So I think I'm going to stick a nice Simplex rear mech on there which should overcome the shifting issues and allow me to ride it everywhere while deciding what to do next, where the options include:
  1. Leave it as-is and just ride it, complete with mixed-up components
  2. Flog all of the above the components and move towards a period 105 / Arabesque groupset
  3. Source a suitable Campagnolo crankset, rear mech and use some NR shifters I have knocking around so at least the drivetrain's all-Campagnolo
  4. Go all-French... Mavic (hen's teeth and expensive), Simplex, Sachs Huret, Stronglight etc (right nationality but are they 'good' enough for such a joyous frame?)
Ideally I'd like it to ride and look a million dollars, while having cost £12.50, so all practical suggestions as to what would make a suitable build gratefully accepted!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Specialeyes that's a cracking looking machine
As to what to do i can't really help but if it was me i would just enjoy it for what it is .
Don't let @woodbutcher see this post

woodbutcher

Veteran
So, the danger in being sat at home over Christmas is the increased temptation to potter about online...

I've been searching for a nice, unbranded 979 for ages and finally one popped up locally. There's lots of Vitus-made frames floating around with others' garish branding on them (Peageots, KAS_replicas etc) but I've always preferred the plainer version and couldn't resist this one.

Currently it's sporting:
  • Campagnolo Nuovo Record front mech & rear mech
  • Campagnolo Triomphe downtube shifters
  • Modolo Speedy brakes
  • Cinelli bars and stem
  • Stronglight crankset
  • Campagnolo pedals
  • Mavic hubs with Rigida rims
Current issues are that it won't smoothly engage the largest sprocket: the freewheel has a larger final step up to what would have been considered a bailout gear in the hairy-chested 1980s. Also, the mixed-up components are nagging at me.

So I think I'm going to stick a nice Simplex rear mech on there which should overcome the shifting issues and allow me to ride it everywhere while deciding what to do next, where the options include:
  1. Leave it as-is and just ride it, complete with mixed-up components
  2. Flog all of the above the components and move towards a period 105 / Arabesque groupset
  3. Source a suitable Campagnolo crankset, rear mech and use some NR shifters I have knocking around so at least the drivetrain's all-Campagnolo
  4. Go all-French... Mavic (hen's teeth and expensive), Simplex, Sachs Huret, Stronglight etc (right nationality but are they 'good' enough for such a joyous frame?)
Ideally I'd like it to ride and look a million dollars, while having cost £12.50, so all practical suggestions as to what would make a suitable build gratefully accepted!
Sir you a man of refined and impeccable taste and l take my hat off to you. I love my 992 and l am currently having lots of fun building up my 979 exclusively with shimano 600 try colour bits . Apart from the Stronglight bottom bracket !

woodbutcher

Veteran
Bloody hell, he’s seen it!
@woodbutcher will be salivating well into the new year!
No i think he will take himself off into his Le Barn and find a dark corner and shout out Sacre bleau loads :laugh:
au contraire Sire, I have seen the light and will henceforth concentrate my effort into applying for official State recognition of my role (however small) in maintaining, nay! promoting the Vitus marque as a National Treasure. Thereby qualifying for endless grants from the French Ministry of Vélos vintage. This will then enable me to source and acquire more bicycles and so on ad infinitum !!!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

I'm afraid you have a penchant for the wrong kind of bikes if your budget is £12.50! Old steel Raleighs like the ones I ride are much more pocket-friendly. Even some of those have cost me more than £20.

If that Vitus were mine (and very nice it is too) I would sort out the gearchange and then just get out there and enjoy riding the thing. If you start trying to match everything with those sort of quality components, I reckon you will wish you had never started in the first place. Lots of hassle, lots of expense - and I doubt the bike will ride any better afterwards either.

OP
OP
Specialeyes
... If that Vitus were mine (and very nice it is too) I would sort out the gearchange and then just get out there and enjoy riding the thing. If you start trying to match everything with those sort of quality components, I reckon you will wish you had never started in the first place.

Thanks John - I think you're right! I'll put the completist project on the back burner (they never go away - always on the lookout!) and just ride the thing.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thanks John - I think you're right! I'll put the completist project on the back burner (they never go away - always on the lookout!) and just ride the thing.
Very wise, and in the process of riding the lovely thing you may decide, over time, to change the odd part . In the meantime you could always look for a Mk 2 frame and build it up from scratch. If you are lucky it won't cost more than seven or eight hundred quid (excluding the frame ) ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
you could always look for a Mk 2 frame and build it up from scratch. If you are lucky it won't cost more than seven or eight hundred quid (excluding the frame ) ^_^

Eight hundred quid!!!! :eek: You chaps are in another league to me. I don't think my entire fleet cost me even half that amount all told, and I've got old steel machinery coming out of my ears. I'll stick to my unfashionable old Raleighs and the odd Dawes for "Sunday best". Reaches for stiff drink to calm nerves......

woodbutcher

Veteran
Eight hundred quid!!!! :eek: You chaps are in another league to me. I don't think my entire fleet cost me even half that amount all told, and I've got old steel machinery coming out of my ears. I'll stick to my unfashionable old Raleighs and the odd Dawes for "Sunday best". Reaches for stiff drink to calm nerves......
Good for you , l'll drink to that and at least booze is cheap in France ^_^

Top Bottom