Viva Simon Jenkins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/19/transport.transport

The model Elle Macpherson was this week pilloried by the tabloids for bicycling in a London street without a helmet and with her (helmeted) son on her handlebars.

"Elle on wheels," cried the Mail.

"What the Elle are you doing?" screamed the Mirror with an editorial titled "Elle to pay".

Even the Times demanded a response to her behaviour from the gods of health and safety.

The answer from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents was a predictable howl: "Illegal and dangerous!"


The truth is the opposite.

Macpherson was probably the safest cyclist in London that day. Like the mayor, Boris Johnson, she is signed up (I guess by instinct) to the Wilde-Adams theory of compensatory risk assessment. By not wearing a helmet, she lowers her risk threshold and thus rides more carefully. She commendably cycles rather than drives a car and protects her child, who cannot manage his own risk. The society should give her a medal, not insult her. The press were idiots.
 

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Location
Crewe
I was thinking about that the other day, as I was watching a car advertisement in which various young people stop an MPV style motor car in the middle of what is evidently a major road, and irresponsibly set up a water-slide upon it.

Not one of them wore a helmet, and the only floatation aid visible appeared to be a large inflatable gorrilla. Ban this sick filth, I say.
 
OP
OP
M

mitchum

Guru
John the Monkey said:
I was thinking about that the other day, as I was watching a car advertisement in which various young people stop an MPV style motor car in the middle of what is evidently a major road, and irresponsibly set up a water-slide upon it.

Not one of them wore a helmet, and the only floatation aid visible appeared to be a large inflatable gorrilla. Ban this sick filth, I say.

Argos catalogue:


92040.jpg




161-3488533SPA70UC505619X.jpg


 

Maz

Squire
We had a similar thread the other day. Good on her for cycling with her kid, I don't think it's inherently dangerous, but I wouldn't do that with my kid.
 

yello

back and brave
Location
France
Elle McPherson aside, it's a good article. One that explains the theory of risk compensation very well. It goes on to give a synopsis of the shared space movement and it's effects on traffic generally.

I commend the article to the forum. ;)
 
Top Bottom