VO2 max testing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there actually a way to properly test your V02 max without being linked up to a breathing device in a laboratory?

For the first time ever, I`ve joined a gym mainly because a new one opened up really close to me and I wanted to support my son`s attempts as he tries to lose weight.

On one of the step machines I noticed there was a fitness test so I thought I`d give that a bash. Now, I cant remember what it said for my V02 results but it said I was well below average!

Im 52, my record for doing 10 miles is a shade over 27mins and can do 50 miles in 2hrs 30/45mins depending on what route I take so I thought I would be slightly fitter than what the machine told me!

Is it a reliable test, all I did was hold onto a part of the apparatus that measured my heart rate whilst the machine recorded time and distance travelled.

Any comments appreciated

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Is there actually a way to properly test your V02 max without being linked up to a breathing device in a laboratory?

For the first time ever, I`ve joined a gym mainly because a new one opened up really close to me and I wanted to support my son`s attempts as he tries to lose weight.

On one of the step machines I noticed there was a fitness test so I thought I`d give that a bash. Now, I cant remember what it said for my V02 results but it said I was well below average!

Im 52, my record for doing 10 miles is a shade over 27mins and can do 50 miles in 2hrs 30/45mins depending on what route I take so I thought I would be slightly fitter than what the machine told me!

Is it a reliable test, all I did was hold onto a part of the apparatus that measured my heart rate whilst the machine recorded time and distance travelled.

Any comments appreciated

You are averaging 2.7 minutes per mile? The marathon world record is 26 miles in 2 hours 2 minutes. You can do almost twice that in an extra 28 minutes?. You had best let them know so the world records can be updated.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Your VO2 max is different depending on the discipline - plus a VO2 max on a gym machine (presumably without a continuous heart rate measurement) is going to be even worse than the pseudo accurate result you get from a dedicated device like a Garmin. So all in all don't pay attention to it. Plus, maybe you are just crap at climbing stairs.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Ha, sorry, I meant when I`m out on my bike I can do the quoted times - mind you, when I was a lot younger, I could do 2.5 mile cross country running in 12 minutes!

and @Milkfloat , in a way I`m not too bothered about the result, I`m only using the gym for a few months the try and do something different from the turbo. This time of year, a lot of people take up exercise and some may be discouraged and stop if a machine tells them that they are crap! And I probably am useless at climbing stairs

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm afraid the best way is via a proper test. Having done this a few years ago as part of a PhD student's research it is worth it.

Oh, and in 2014 I was way above average. Now ... :heat: unfortunately.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ah I see the step machine made me think you were talking about running. Are you after an actual Vo2 max figure or just looking to improve it? There is not much you can do about your vo2 max genetic potential but you can work to bring your actual vo2 max towards its potential.

Generally on the bike and outside the lab (after a warm up) you go as hard as you can for 5 minutes. The normalised power for those 5 mins is then considered your power at vo2 max / aerobic capacity. Then you undertake a series of intervals with intensities around that power level then retest every 4-6 weeks or so to reset the intensity you work at. You should see your 5 minute power rising if all going well.

Somebody told me that the garmin prediction relies heavily upon your max heart rate as well as power. I've got quite a high max hr so my results tend to be good but step machine uses a similar prediction and miss calculates your max hr it'll give poor results.

Top Bottom