Voice affected by cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Does anyone else have this? At the start of a group ride I'm talking away merrily with all and sundry, but as the ride goes on, my voice declines to the point where it just about deserts me. It isn't from the talking, because the same thing happens on solo rides, and it is so bad that I can barely speak after a long ride. My throat feels dry and tight, and I have to make a conscious effort, clear my throat, and so on, to be able to answer the phone for a couple of hours afterwards. In fact, when I was riding a lot, my voice didn't have a chance to recover much between rides.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Does it happen in summer? I know cold air can make the vocal chords constrict. A buff usually does the trick.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Move your plums to one side, that probably explains why your eyes are streaming too:whistle:^_^

Sorry, seriously though I've not heard of that before, does'nt sound pleasant.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Does it happen in summer? I know cold air can make the vocal chords constrict. A buff usually does the trick.

Yeah, it happens year round. Thing is, I come from a real sporting background, and nothing, not even the most strenuous squash match, ever did this to me before.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Or even close to where @MikeG lives ;) who could actually examine him ;)

I ride with a GP. He said that he hasn't got a clue about it. More than finding out what is happening in my throat, I was actually more interested in finding out if others suffer the same thing.

Exacerbated by Pollution? Dust? Allergy? I assume you don’t play squash on the roads?

No, I ride in the rural idyll of South Suffolk, pollution-free, and I have no allergies.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I do sometimes, I think its a mixture of cycling into the wind and fatigue. I would just suggest to keep drinking? That is what I do and it seems to alleviate it slightly.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I have it slightly on longer rides
Always put it down to lack of fluid , wind and heavy breathing didn’t think about it too much as it goes after shower and cup of tea - thought it happened to most people !! - now I am worried - thanks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I used to get a bit of 'track hack' in the velodrome, but after a few sessions my body seemed to get used to the dry air. @MikeG do you get it in all weathers and times of the year?

Right I get something similar, but only in the very cold. The very cold air up your nose - triggers a response to produce mucus, this then gets tangled in your vocal cords - (you might not have noticed anything at this point) then you find when talking you want to clear your throat - in turns this produces even more mucus you throat gets tight a sore......sound about right ?

Fixes
1.As has been suggested wear a buff over your nose and mouth especially for the first few miles
2.Suck a mint to stop the clear throat habit
3.Drink loads even when not cycling that thins the mucus - and stops the clear throat habit
4.Try a anti histamine to slown mucus products
5.Try a drink with blended oranges and ginger - and maybe garlic cloves for a bit of extra wallop !

Top Bottom