Volta Ciclista a Catalunya, 18-24 March 2013 [spoilers]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Will it be three in a row* for Team Sky? Wiggin is taking a strong climbing team with him. Main competition among declared runners and riders so far looks like being J-Rod, Van Den Broeck and Hesjedal.

Plenty of other big names already on the start list too: Anton, Nieve, Roche, Valpiti, Quintana, Gesink, Kruiswijk, De Gendt, Cunego, Scarponi, Menchov, Navarro.

*Yes, I know Tirreno-Adriatico isn't over yet, but there's just a 200km flat stage and a 9km TT left...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Given Wiggins' strategy last year it's probably time he started to show us his real form now.

Buddfox

Veteran
Will it be three in a row* for Team Sky? Wiggin is taking a strong climbing team with him. Main competition among declared runners and riders so far looks like being J-Rod, Van Den Broeck and Hesjedal.

Plenty of other big names already on the start list too: Anton, Nieve, Roche, Valpiti, Quintana, Gesink, Kruiswijk, De Gendt, Cunego, Scarponi, Menchov, Navarro.

*Yes, I know Tirreno-Adriatico isn't over yet, but there's just a 200km flat stage and a 9km TT left...

Hmmm....

The Couch

Über Member
Personally -I know I said it before - I don't have a good feeling with Wiggo this year.
I believe he might have had the same stress release as he has had after 2004 (his olympic treble) and 2008 (his road cycling break-out year). Of course if you try to see some trend in this small sample size, you could say his "dips" are getting smaller (first dip 2 years: '05-'06, second dip 1 year '09), so he might be back to form even quicker this time, but still the Giro might still be too close by.
Of course, I am no profet, so he might win the Giro and make me eat my words :smile:

For the overall win I would be looking to Valverde and Purito (I see Van Den Broeck being definitely top 5, but he's just not a winner) and personally I am looking forward to seeing what guys like Pinot and Brajkovic can do after last year (of course for other reasons).

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The way Wiggins and Sky work, if Wiggins doesn't have it at Catalunya, I don't think he'll have it at the Giro - unless Dave Brailsford has cunningly changed their entire team training plan as a double bluff.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Full start list here:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/116777022-Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-2013-Startlist

That's a very strong looking field. Fingers crossed the weather holds off...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Some decent riders there.
I see that Garmin have included their dopey whistlebowers after their suspensions; Danielson, van de Velde and Zabriskie.
Josh Edmondson is the second youngest rider at 20yrs 255 days!
I'm amazed that anyone who did the MSR is doing this one though - Gerrans sprang to mind.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Talking of Eurosport commentators (elsewhere we were, anyway!). Carlton Kirby keeps misidentifying the Orica man in the breakaway as Travis Meyer when it is clearly Christian Meier unless they have swapped numbers.

Top Bottom