Volume of firewood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At one extreme If the logs are biggish compared to the overall size, then you generally get less wood in a given volume. Let's say you have a cubic metre container, and the log is 2/3m cubed then only one will fit thus 8/27 of a cubic metre. If you have half meter cubed logs then 8 will fit filling the space completely. It's slightly more complicated in than a single 1m cube log will also fill the whole space too

However, Providing the logs are small compared to the size of the overall container, then it makes no difference whether they are smaller or larger as the packing ratio is much the same

Best packing ratio is a mixture of sizes as the spaces between the big logs can be filled by smaller logs

Alex321

Veteran
It depends to an extent on the packing process.

If the logs are carefully stacked into the container, then smaller logs should pack more efficiently. But if (as is much more likely), they are just thrown randomly into the container as they come off the splitter, then you will tend to get more gaps, as suggested above.

When we lived near Merthyr and had log burners (and an open fire), we used to buy logs from a place near where we now live, a cubic metre at a time (usually two lots would see us through a winter, with half a ton of coal as well for the open fire), and that was from metal cages (stillages), which had obviously just had the wood thrown in fairly randomly.
https://jvtreeservices.co.uk/services/firewood-kindling/

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I can't answer the question but can say that they are getting v.expensive.

£125 per dumpy bag (seasoned hardwood).

And bags of kindling prices have gone through the roof too at £7.50 in Staveley (Lakes) last week.

I pay £3.29 for a bag of kindling

markemark

Über Member
Lot of our firewood, and all of our kindling, we collect off the beach for free (some seriously big pieces/logs/branches get washed up here).

Good one year/season, stock rotation to allow drying out.

Top up of stock from a friend who owns a local wood, he empties his trailer on our drive, luckily no bags involved.

I've never bought wood and we have lots of fires. Local parks from the ground and local houses when chopping trees down. Also, a chat whenever the local council chop trees and they're often glad for me to grab what I can.

Alex321

Veteran
I've never bought wood and we have lots of fires. Local parks from the ground and local houses when chopping trees down. Also, a chat whenever the local council chop trees and they're often glad for me to grab what I can.

We don't have any log burners or open fires in our current house, but I still do that, looking for wood to turn :smile:

Top Bottom