Volume of firewood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mr WD and I have been having a discussion about volumes of firewood. Most firewood around here is delivered in builders bags. Mr WD contends that the larger the logs the more you tend to get as you can chop it up into smaller pieces, whereas I tend to believe that the smaller the pieces of firewood the more you get as there are fewer spaces and gaps than with bigger logs.

What is the general consensus of opinion if there is one.

Answers on a postcard. :smile:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Depends if it is sold by volume or weight. If volune then smaller pieces will fill the gaps left by larger pieces.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Mr WD and I have been having a discussion about volumes of firewood. Most firewood around here is delivered in builders bags. Mr WD contends that the larger the logs the more you tend to get as you can chop it up into smaller pieces, whereas I tend to believe that the smaller the pieces of firewood the more you get as there are fewer spaces and gaps than with bigger logs.

What is the general consensus of opinion if there is one.

Answers on a postcard. :smile:

An interesting question, probably with no correct answer.

if you wanted the most wood by volume or weight then one massive tree trunk log would be the best, but most people don’t want to do any secondary chopping so small logs would be my preference.

Adam4868

Guru
Hard to get hold of at the moment round here...80 quid for a builders bag usually.Id prefer the smaller ones that fit straight in the woodburner.Think you get more for your money as well.

markemark

Über Member
It’s the old story of a jar with stones, pebbles and sand. Larger they are they less efficiently they fill the space.
However to note on this instance, larger logs burn more efficiently and sustain hot temperatures for longer as they have less surface area.

So I would suggest larger logs are more efficient for the overall process of delivery to fire.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Is this what retired married life is like, discussing what's in a bag of wood??? :hyper:

OP
OP
welsh dragon

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It’s the old story of a jar with stones, pebbles and sand. Larger they are they less efficiently they fill the space.
However to note on this instance, larger logs burn more efficiently and sustain hot temperatures for longer as they have less surface area.

So I would suggest larger logs are more efficient for the overall process of delivery to fire.

I agree. We have large logs that burn for far longer so they are are more efficient. But our neighbour lives on her own, only has a small fire and can't move larger logs herself.

markemark

Über Member
it is my opinion that every log has edges that can snag and generally not fit around other logs. The more logs in a load, the greater the potential for non-tessilation. Therefore smaller logs equals more logs equals more gaps

You know I take my post back. You’re right. If I were to stack logs, thicker logs stack far better due to the odd shapes and bits that stick out of thin sticks. I think it’ll be a curve. Large logs are more efficient in space. Thins logs less so. But wood chips most efficient of all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom