The perils of cheap ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The majority of food delivery drivers I see in London, and there are a lot, all use (and I don't say 'all' lightly), cheap looking systems. Often with huge batteries gaffa taped to the frame.
As the report says, it's one of the fastest, growing causes of fire now. I can't imagine what would happen if one of those went off on a train full of people.
I think before long somethings going to be have to be done. But what?

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
The majority of food delivery drivers I see in London, and there are a lot, all use (and I don't say 'all' lightly), use cheap looking systems. Often with huge batteries gaffa taped to the frame.
As the report says, it's one of the fastest, growing causes of fire now.

Well for a start the E bike delivery boys around our way regularly ride these motorbike type E bikes at astonishing speeds easily overtaking city traffic. We have had a couple of bike fires and many E scooter fires locally attended by the Fire Brigade and causing property damage. Won’t be long until the home insurance rises if a E bike on the premises.

Well for a start the E bike delivery boys around our way regularly ride these motorbike type E bikes at astonishing speeds easily overtaking city traffic. We have had a couple of bike fires and many E scooter fires locally attended by the Fire Brigade and causing property damage. Won’t be long until the home insurance rises if a E bike on the premises.

I doubt it they will even list it on their insurance as they disregard any laws relating to them .

Brandane

Legendary Member
Won’t be long until the home insurance rises if a E bike on the premises.

That is my main concern, because the insurance companies are unlikely to care whether your e-bike is a DIY build from internet sourced "not for road use" parts; or as mine is - a Merida e-bike from a franchised dealer and not modified in any way.

I also suspect it will only be a matter of time until hotels who currently allow bikes into rooms (Travelodge and Premier Inn) will ban e-bikes. Who could blame them for doing so? And to save them going to the trouble of checking what is an e-bike and what is a normal bike (mine looks "normal" to any non cyclist) they might just ban ALL bikes from rooms. Which would be a shame for us cycle tourists who don't like camping, and don't want to carry heavy locks.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That is my main concern, because the insurance companies are unlikely to care whether your e-bike is a DIY build from internet sourced "not for road use" parts; or as mine is - a Merida e-bike from a franchised dealer and not modified in any way.

But how can you tell whether Merida (or any other reputable brand) have cut cost by sourcing cheap batteries?

Thing is ebike on your house insurance will normally already increase the policy costs.
My insurance stipulates not stored in the property but a separate outbuilding that is fire resistant.
It's a branded bike but they don't care as ebike is an ebike as far as they are concerned

Brandane

Legendary Member
But how can you tell whether Merida (or any other reputable brand) have cut cost by sourcing cheap batteries?

You have to trust in their reputation, and their desire to maintain that reputatiin. Or does the same apply to laptops, phones, headphones, toothbrushes, razors, etc... ?

What we need is a proper authorised standard that "personal electric transport devices" have to comply with - or at least the batteries have to

It has to be possible - many years ago there were all sorts of stories about laptop batteries and those have died down

nowadays it is electric bike batteries - which as clearly worse as there are more cells involved and as they are more expensive then it is easier to find people who are prepared to pay for cheap carp

As you said - the problem is that we could end up witha situation where people with decent ebikes from decent quality companies end up lumped in with you average nutter using a Home built Frankenbike with the classic gaffer taped battery and uses it to deliver drugs and pizza

I am lucky that mine is kept in in a shed - but if I lived in a flat I might end up with no house insurance if I had to keep it indoors

AndyRM

XOXO
The majority of food delivery drivers I see in London, and there are a lot, all use (and I don't say 'all' lightly), use cheap looking systems. Often with huge batteries gaffa taped to the frame.
As the report says, it's one of the fastest, growing causes of fire now. I can't imagine what woukd happen if one of those went off on a train full of people.

Aye, same here. The city centre is a nightmare enough as it is for traffic of all kinds. These guys zipping around on those bikes are a total liability.

Most recently I saw one bombing along the wrong way down a bus lane, one handed and on his phone. A disaster waiting to happen.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You have to trust in their reputation, and their desire to maintain that reputatiin. Or does the same apply to laptops, phones, headphones, toothbrushes, razors, etc... ?

I have an analogue razor
1712564893263.png

We have standards on batteries, but it pretty hard to monitor / enforce with shoot being posted directly from china via amazon etc.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Chinese government seems to have little control (likely deliberately) of that which its companies export from its shores.

I doubt any local political arrangement at the incoming end will stop people buying poor quality sheet from China while it is so cheap.

Top Bottom