The perils of cheap ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Electric scooters are already banned on local trains and bus services in these parts. Banning electric bikes is the next step. Legal as well as illegal ones.

That's a real pity.

I was on the train locally and there was a sign banning e scooters and a list of other e contraptions that I can't remember to list, but ebikes are so far allowed on Scotrail, although I wouldn't be surprised if that to change soon.

Hopefully there's some recognition between legal ebikes though.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's a real pity.

I was on the train locally and there was a sign banning e scooters and a list of other e contraptions that I can't remember to list, but ebikes are so far allowed on Scotrail, although I wouldn't be surprised if that to change soon.

Hopefully there's some recognition between legal ebikes though.
Hopefully they'll make a distinction between legal e-assist and those that are using nothing but battery power for motive power. Usually with large, extra, batteries taped into the frame.

The legal users forced off by illegal bikes and their users.

classic33

Leg End Member
Where have they said that? I looked it up couldn't find anything anything obvious.
It's been got from talking to staff.
They weren't too keen on carrying electric scooters, because of the fire risk. The batteries taped to the frames on bikes, they're not keen on.

albion

Guru
Staff have been saying that for years. They are allowed to use discretion on diy looking bikes.

So should EVs be banned from high rise car parks? They have up to 150 times the batteries.

It's been got from talking to staff.
They weren't too keen on carrying electric scooters, because of the fire risk. The batteries taped to the frames on bikes, they're not keen on.

Staff have been saying that for years. They are allowed to use discretion on diy looking bikes.

So should EVs be banned from high rise car parks? They have up to 150 times the batteries.

I hope its just the dodgy looking ones, anything legal should still be cariable. I travel by train a lot but take my bike much less often, I'd hate to lose that option still though.

Alex321

Veteran

Only if their batteries are gaffer taped into place :smile:

EV fires are in fact much rarer than ICEV fires, in proportion to the number of each type of vehicle around.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
And in Leeds City Centre, they're an utter menace to anybody, and anything else near them, no lights, face masks and black ninja clothing, zipping round pedestrians and traffic alike, they will kill someone, sooner rather than later imho

Cars have already killed a lot of people in city centres...

Alex321

Veteran
Very different consequences though.

Really?

Both tend to result in a burned out husk of a vehicle.

The only vehicle fire incident I can recall hearing of recently which resulted in more than that was the Luton airport car park - which started with a diesel car.

EV fires do tend to be a bit harder to put out, but it is not that common to have a fire extinguisher to put out a conventional vehicle fire before it destroys the vehicle.

Drago

Legendary Member

Depending on who's stats you choose to cite, EVs are between 6 and 20 times less likely to self combust than an ICE car.

classic33

Leg End Member

A car park is a slightly different environment to an enclosed carriage on a moving train.

I meant to post a little more last night but it was late....

Generally I've had a positive experience with Northern Rail and bikes, and with them in general. Case in point yesterday I booked 2 advance tickets for travel but I managed to book the return journey for the wrong day! Conductor on the train was very accomodating and let me still travel.

I might try a short email to Northern Rail asking about any potential ban, and potentially to my local MP, as if the government wants to continue to encourage eBikes as an alternative to cars then we can't go banning them really.

presta

Guru
I can't imagine what would happen if one of those went off on a train full of people.
Another excuse for making it more of a PITA taking bikes on trains.
I think before long somethings going to be have to be done. But what?
Regulation is the logical answer, but whilst nobody cares about people riding illegal e-bikes it's not going to make any difference. If they do manage to get the public interested it'll probably just fuel more anti-bike prejudice.
What we need is a proper authorised standard that "personal electric transport devices" have to comply with - or at least the batteries have to
Thanks to Brexit, the import standards we already have are no longer being enforced.
Hopefully they'll make a distinction between legal e-assist and those that are using nothing but battery power for motive power.
The Guard's not going to be able to tell the difference, and probably won't want the responsibility of deciding either.

Top Bottom