Voodoo Bizango 2013 - Forks options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrimUpNorth

Hi,

I've a 2013 Voodoo Bizango and the forks are not working correctly. When I push down on them I get a bit of give and the rebound is far from smooth. Specs here though they are slightly different....

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/voodoo-bizango-2013 (Suntour Raidon LO 29 100mm)
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-review-2/ (Raidon LO air sprung 15mm QLoc axle, 120mm)

I'd like to get them sorted one way or another as I rather like the old bike. I'd best clarify I'm very far from knowing much about bike servicing full stop and have limited tools.

Options seem to be:

1. Get them serviced - been into the LBS this morning and he's saying it could cost anywhere from £60 to £120 depending on the situation with them. I'm a bit loath to throw £120 at a bike that won't be worth much more.
2. Buy new forks - with the value of the bike I wouldn't want to throw much cash at a new (or second hand) pair. And tbh I'm not even sure what would be a suitable replacement
3. Live with it and save up for a new bike - lit loath to do this atm with cash tight!
4. Get a rigid fork - I'm more of an xc rider but go to the Surrey hills so not sure if this is a sensible move. If it is again any recommendations would help.
5. Service them myself - I would have next to no confidence in doing that!

Any advice would be great as I need a steer.
Help!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I presume you have a lockout switch so I should use that. You'll then have a rigid fork but with additional weight penalty albeit at no cost. The fork on budget bikes is little more than a tube with spring inside so no damping.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If you do decide to change the forks, be aware that you may need a new front wheel. That Q-Loc through axle wasn't widely used (Suntour's own design?) being more like a Q/R, while most are now bolt through. The bolt thrus are mostly 12mm diameter, while the Q-loc was 15mm.

Drago

Legendary Member
Unless you go rigid then whstever forks you get will require servicing sooner or later. May as well get it done now, and accept that a spot of periodic maintenance is cheaper than waiting until they develop a fault and require big money being spent.

They're probably not difficult to service. It may be worth researching it before deciding its too difficult. You've got nothing to lose by looking into it,

BTW - XC is a racing discipline. If you really do race in XC then id get the forks serviced or replaced. If you actually mean trail riding, then rigid forks are a viable alternative, but unless you pick some up used theyre unlikely to save you much cash over either a service or new boingers.

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

BTW - XC is a racing discipline.

I used it just as a term to describe the riding i do. I am definitely not racing!

Unless you go rigid then whstever forks you get will require servicing sooner or later. May as well get it done now, and accept that a spot of periodic maintenance is cheaper than waiting until they develop a fault and require big money being spent.

Understood. I guess my concern is the existing ones haven;t been serviced full stop so I was wondering about possibly finding a "nicer" replacement but the only cost effective way of doing that is buying second hand and obviously what comes with that.

They're probably not difficult to service. It may be worth researching it before deciding its too difficult. You've got nothing to lose by looking into it,
I'll have a look. Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you do decide to change the forks, be aware that you may need a new front wheel. That Q-Loc through axle wasn't widely used (Suntour's own design?) being more like a Q/R, while most are now bolt through. The bolt thrus are mostly 12mm diameter, while the Q-loc was 15mm.

Bolt through is 15mm or 20mm on the front of MTBs.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bolt through is 15mm or 20mm on the front of MTBs.
Thanks for the clarification, so the O/P should be OK with the same wheel if they change forks and it is supplied with (or they can source) the correct spec bolt through. Never got on with the Q-Loc on my Bizango.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It seemed to be a hollow tube with a Q/R lever running through it and a fancy fitting at the other end.
1614637401625.png

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Right, I've had a look at some Youtube videos and I'm going to go for it and attempt to service them.

Couple of questions:

1. Shockpump - found this cheap one @ wiggle. Checked the comments and someone says its ok with suntour. Any reason I shouldn't go with this one - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-shock-pump ?

2. Putting oil in each lower - I found this - https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/suntour-raidon-are-they-rubbish/ - which says...

" take them apart (really easy) and wipe all the OE grease off the stanchions. Fit some Rock Shox foam oil retaining rings under the dust seals and put 20-30ml of 10wt oil in each lower before you reassemble them. Hey presto! Super-plush air forks on a budget"

I'm not 100% sure about it but it sounds interesting so wondered if anyone has any experience of that?

Thanks again for the help with this.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Right, I've had a look at some Youtube videos and I'm going to go for it and attempt to service them.

Couple of questions:

1. Shockpump - found this cheap one @ wiggle. Checked the comments and someone says its ok with suntour. Any reason I shouldn't go with this one - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-shock-pump ?

2. Putting oil in each lower - I found this - https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/suntour-raidon-are-they-rubbish/ - which says...

" take them apart (really easy) and wipe all the OE grease off the stanchions. Fit some Rock Shox foam oil retaining rings under the dust seals and put 20-30ml of 10wt oil in each lower before you reassemble them. Hey presto! Super-plush air forks on a budget"

I'm not 100% sure about it but it sounds interesting so wondered if anyone has any experience of that?

Thanks again for the help with this.
Can only answer the first question and can confirm that the Lifeline shock-pump will be fine - it's what I used on mine. No idea on the the second question as the shock-pump & using the lockout lever was as technical as I got with mine.

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Can only answer the first question and can confirm that the Lifeline shock-pump will be fine - it's what I used on mine. No idea on the the second question as the shock-pump & using the lockout lever was as technical as I got with mine.

Thanks - I've ordered one.

Drago

Legendary Member
Top work, Mr Upnorth. Once you've done this your confidence and knowledge will grow, and you'll be doing more and more, saving time and money. Fingers cross that it goes smoothly for you, although I don't see why it shouldn't.

Bobario

Veteran
I've serviced the Fox shocks on both ends of my mountain bike and it was really easy to do. I had Suntours on my old commuter hack, but when I took them apart to try to service them they were totally knackered so I just bit the bullet and bought new forks. The only squeaky bum moment was when I had the forks upside down, with a load of fresh oil in and was trying to get the threaded bits of the stanchions through the holes in the end of the lowers. I was convinced the oil was going to squirt out of the seals, but it didn't.

While a service might not totally resurrect your forks, it certainly won't hurt and the service kit doesn't cost a lot. In my case the forks were about twice as bouncy after the service as they were before.

Just another thought, have you tried changing the settings on the rebound adjuster? Maybe it is maxed out.

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Just another thought, have you tried changing the settings on the rebound adjuster? Maybe it is maxed out.
Yeah I checked that and it was maxed out but the forks are still far from perfect. I'd describe it as juddery.

While a service might not totally resurrect your forks, it certainly won't hurt and the service kit doesn't cost a lot. In my case the forks were about twice as bouncy after the service as they were before.

My plan was really just to take them off and give them a good clean up. Is there a specific service kit I should be buying and using?

Top Bottom