Voodoo Bizango 2013 - Forks options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Top work, Mr Upnorth. Once you've done this your confidence and knowledge will grow, and you'll be doing more and more, saving time and money. Fingers cross that it goes smoothly for you, although I don't see why it shouldn't.

Thanks - I'm very far from knowing my way round a bike but hey the best way to learn is to get stuck in. Fingers crossed indeed!

Bobario

Veteran
I don't think anyone does a service kit for Suntour forks. You could probably source the parts from the web, I've just done a quick search and found a couple of sites selling dust seals and wiper rings. I'd just give them a quick clean and lube and see if it helps any. If you can find a serial number type it in here: https://www.srsuntour.com/service/

There is a section of service videos further down the page which should come in handy, there are a couple of videos on Youtube too. You may need a small amount of 80w fork oil and some grease. Sram butter is supposedly the best thing to use as it doesn't collect dust or dirt like normal grease.
If you do decide to do it yourself, look just under the rubber dust seals for some wiper rings. These should be gently prised out (or new ones put in) and soaked in oil before putting them back. Also keep an eye out for any rust on the stanchions, if any water has gotten in it is possible for them to rust below the seals. That's what was wrong with my Suntours, the rust was so bad I had to scrap the forks.

OP
OP
G

GrimUpNorth

Just an update on this.
I've done what I'd say is a part service on the forks.

I ordered new dust seals and after letting out the air, taking off the lowers and cleaning them, replaced the seals. Getting them out was a mission as they were well and truly stuck, and after starting I was beginning to think I shouldn't have bothered, but eventually they came out. I got the new ones in with some grease (I ended up using a rubber mallet to gentle tap them in) and soaked the foam rings in Fox Gold 20wt oil before putting them in.

I then used a little Conpanna fork grease before putting the lowers back on.

What I didn't do was take the "tops" off (if that's the right word) to clean the insides, so I might do that next. But they seem much better so I think I'll leave it for now.

Also, I'd seen this post - https://www.mtbr.com/threads/switching-from-grease-to-oil-on-a-raidon-due-to-stiction.853706/
but I haven't put any oil in the lowers. I'm not sure whether to do it or not tbh.

If anyone is interested in having a go I got the seals from here, and they threw in a pot of the grease - https://greyville.com/products/6553-faa169-30-sr-suntour-32mm-upgraded-dust-seal?store_referer=true

All in all a good learning experience, but with hindsight I probably should have got a seal installation tool, but I'd already spent a few quid on the seals and the oil so I decided not too.

Bobario

Veteran
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I told you it was easy, If I can do it anyone can. If you can find a socket of just the right size they work a treat to help push the wiper seals into the lowers.

Top Bottom