Voodoo Marasa vs Boardman Hybrid for mixed use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fischflosse

Hello,

I'm looking to replace my stolen road bike (:cry:) with a hybrid. I'm a (mostly) fair weather cyclist, primarily urban cycling and commuting ~5km each way, but also like longer weekend rides (30 to 80km) for leisure and fitness. I would like the option to go off-road but not sure how much I'll like it, so that's secondary. I know I loved how light and fast my road bike was, but found the upper body position uncomfortable (tbh my frame was probably too big for me as well). I'm also looking for a decent amount of gears for weekend cycling; I could just about manage hills on my old bike (a Cube Axial WLS Pro) with 18 gears.

My budget is around £400-500, as everything I've tried at lower price points felt very clunky and not particularly fun to ride. Lots of bikes are sold out these days, so I've got slim pickings. I've narrowed it down to the Voodoo Marasa (£450) vs the Boardman Hybrid (£550 on sale); I can also get about £80 off via the cycle to work scheme.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ns-hybrid-bike---16in-18in-frames-445521.html
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hyb-8.6-womens-hybrid-bike-529328.html

The Boardman looks to be lighter, but the Voodoo has more gears. I'm not a big fan of the Voodoo women's colour scheme; men's colour scheme looks better, but not sure what I'd be sacrificing in terms of frame geometry or other customisations for the women's version. Otherwise, not sure what other features I should be looking at.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt other than paint job, saddle, maybe steam, crank length, there’s no great difference between men’s and wsd Boardman. How tall are you, there’s likely a smaller wsd frame which doesn’t matter if you 5’10 of course. The actual Boardman site probably has more detail on geo.
The number of gears doesn’t really matter, the ratios are what matters.
I’d personally go for a lighter more road oriented bike given what you say about distances. The Voodoo looks more mountain bike than road. 13kg is pretty heavy

if going C2W make sure you insure the bike as you’ll still have to pay if God forbid it gets stolen

Top Bottom