Vounteer Organisers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
We are in need of organisers to oversee the smooth running of a section. In my mind this does not outrule you to actually riding in the event. You will need a reasonable knowledge of the region you are looking after and will need to map the sections as Peanut has done for the South 2 section.

It will be your responsibility to ensure you have the riders assigned to each section, they are aware of ETA's and are prepared plus that a support vehicle is sourced (can be an LBS helping out or a mate in a car with a track pump, umbrella and a blanket).

A ROUGH Guide to region start and end points is below (final handover points will be decided from a south - north basis), if you would like to get involved please copy/paste the list and add your name to the region.

South 1 - Lands End - Sandford =
South 2 - Sandford - Gloucester = Peanut
South 3 - Gloucester - Stoke on Trent =

Mid 1 - Stoke on Trent - Preston =
Mid 2 - Preston - Penrith = Garz
Mid 3 - Penrith - Moffat =

North 1 - Moffat - Cowdenbeath=
North 2 - Cowdenbeath - Kingussie =
North 3 - Kingussie - Dornoch=

Glory run - Dornoch - John O' Groats =

Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I would be happy to help with Mid 1 but have to say the following:

1. Work would rule me out for the whole of April / May though I might be able to squeeze in riding a section then

2. I don't have the experience to do all this on my own but would be happy to support / learn alongside someone else

I'd be willing to approach my LBS to see what support they could offer. It is a very small LBS!

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Peanut has decided he does not want to organise the South 2 region any more so we will be looking for a new organiser although the routes have already been mapped carefully by him before he pulled out.

So currently PaulSB is the only regional organiser.... Come on guys and girls... get involved, you dont have to be an expert in cycling to help.

South 1 - Lands End - Sandford =
South 2 - Sandford - Gloucester =
South 3 - Gloucester - Stoke on Trent =

Mid 1 - Stoke on Trent - Preston =
Mid 2 - Preston - Penrith = Garz
Mid 3 - Penrith - Moffat =

North 1 - Moffat - Cowdenbeath=
North 2 - Cowdenbeath - Kingussie =
North 3 - Kingussie - Dornoch=

Glory run - Dornoch - John O' Groats =

PaulSB

Legendary Member
OK I've mapped a route in bikehike - never used it before, it's so easy I'll go there again - which starts in Tunstall, Stoke and finishes just south of Garstang. This is 72 miles so I've subdivided it as follows:

Tunstall - Over Peover - A50
Over Peover - Winwick - A50
Winwick - Euxton - A573 / A49
Euxton - Garstang - A49 / A6

I guess these roads are OK though I do know some quieter ones. I've been trying to follow the James Cracknell route. If someone tells me where to post the links I'll load them tomorrow.

For anyone worried about mapping, which I was, just go to bikehike.co.uk - it's a doddle.

simon_brooke

PaulSB said:
OK I've mapped a route in bikehike - never used it before, it's so easy I'll go there again - which starts in Tunstall, Stoke and finishes just south of Garstang. This is 72 miles so I've subdivided it as follows:

Tunstall - Over Peover - A50
Over Peover - Winwick - A50
Winwick - Euxton - A573 / A49
Euxton - Garstang - A49 / A6

I guess these roads are OK though I do know some quieter ones. I've been trying to follow the James Cracknell route. If someone tells me where to post the links I'll load them tomorrow.

For anyone worried about mapping, which I was, just go to bikehike.co.uk - it's a doddle.

Can you post a link to your route?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
OK here are my routes. As I said before I could offer quieter roads but I have the impression we are trying for the shortest route follwoing James Cracknell's route. With opinion / guidance from others I'm happy to make changes:

Tunstall to Peover Superior www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16408

Peover Superior to Winwick www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16411

Winwick to Euxton www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16412

Euxton to Garstang (south of) www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=16414

Where I can I've made the start / finish near a pub as this would offer possibilities for car parking.......and other benefits?

PaulB

Legendary Member
I can't help noticing that the route goes through some pretty major town centres and along busy roads such as the A6. This might be the shortest route but riders will have to negotiate some congested roads and some hefty traffic at times.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
PaulB said:
I can't help noticing that the route goes through some pretty major town centres and along busy roads such as the A6. This might be the shortest route but riders will have to negotiate some congested roads and some hefty traffic at times.

PaulSB said:
OK here are my routes. As I said before I could offer quieter roads but I have the impression we are trying for the shortest route follwoing James Cracknell's route. With opinion / guidance from others I'm happy to make changes:

I agree but have been waiting for some other opinions. I took my guidance from the suggested James Cracknell route and then from the south-west maps which go straight up the A38, which I thought would be a very busy road. A quieter more meandering route is simple enough to do, though I'd suggest the A50 and A6 aren't too bad most of the time, wouldn't want to be round Preston at rush hour though!!

As there is relatively little activity on this I also didn't want to spend hours on it to find I was heading in the wrong direction, figuratively and literally! ;)

Time to get the bike out now.

iGaz

I posted in the riders bit that I could do the Lands End bit, but if you need a support Barge. I could with fuel help, cover the entire route. My van has a tow ball mounted bike rack on the back, a comfy, nice interior, portable cooker/cool box etc! I could take supplies etc, and have beacons if required to protect the riders!

Just a thought,,,

simon_brooke

Sam Kennedy said:
any plans for this route to pass anywhere near newcastle upon tyne? :wacko:

...Oh and whats a 'vounteer' :biggrin: ;)

If you can make it to anywhere between Penrith and Moffat, I'm your local organiser. But no, the nearest we get to you is Carlisle.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So I just wondered if we can get this off the ground. I'm very happy to help with organisation but really don't have the time or experience to take any sort of lead. Things seemed to have gone a little quiet recently.

Garz

Squat Member
I think the original crew ran out of steam, they will be back once some energy injects itself I would think, besides the planned ride isnt for a few months. I reckon the boring dark autumn/winter period will give alot more focus for this!

Top Bottom