Voyager 1 - Working Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Staggering that something launched in 1977 is still going strong. The foresight of the engineers on the initial launch must have been huge.

Nah - they clearly over-engineered it wasting loads of extra weight and money !

Whilst I am joking, apparently the chief engineer at Porsche, maybe Ferdinand himself, commented after they'd over the years doubled the power of his original engine design said that if he'd realised it had that much potential he'd have made it lighter !

And to think that is used to complain about going to fix a computer in room 17
and then had to go back to the office to get a different screwdriver to fix it with

mind you - I reckon NASA had a slightly bigger budget than the school I was working for at the time!

gbb

Legendary Member
In essence, I wonder if its the same principle as a former colleagues car. Something failed in the ecu, dealership reprogrammed it, diverted an output via another part of the chip. Easy apparently when you plug in a computer...but how did they do it remotely on Voyager ?. Its the detail that interests me (assuming I'm even remotely on the right track)

I was listening to a pundit...the power may only be available for another year perhaps anyway.

In essence, I wonder if its the same principle as a former colleagues car. Something failed in the ecu, dealership reprogrammed it, diverted an output via another part of the chip. Easy apparently when you plug in a computer...but how did they do it remotely on Voyager ?. Its the detail that interests me (assuming I'm even remotely on the right track)

I was listening to a pundit...the power may only be available for another year perhaps anyway.

They do have some brilliant people
I heard - many years ago - of one of the probes where they had 2 cameras. One was a low resolution to send back pictures quickly.
The other was high res but the comms system couldn;t take the bandwidth to send the images back. Hence it stored the image on a cassette tape of some kind and then could send it back slowly when required.
But the tape drive broke when looking at one of the planets on its route - Jupiter or something so they could only get low res photos.
after that pass it was just drifting on its set course for several years heading for the next close pass.
During that time one of the programmers was looking at it one day. he or she was fiddling and managed to fix the tape drive - only the Gods and him/her know how and while he was at it he noticed an area of memory that was unused so he wrote a little program that fitted in it to analyse the images ina way that had never been done before
all million of miles away using a comms system that works in bits per minute and then only sometimes

Respect

Top Bottom