Vuelta stages 14 and 15

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisp80

I've always wanted to stand on one of the steep hills packed with spectators cheering on the riders of the Tour de France or Vuelta. I notice a few stages of the Vuelta are in Andalusia when I'm there on holiday next week. Stage 14 finishes on the sierra de la panderra and stage 15 on the Sierra Nevada so I'm thinking one of them might be a good option. Can anyone give any advice on the best location to head for? Planning to hire a car but how long before the race do they shut the roads? I'll have two young children in tow so ideally we'd have a bit of shade.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Road closure time and maps will be published somewhere, but I don't know enough about Spanish government to know where. http://www.letour.com/la-vuelta/2017/us/stage-14.html has a map and time schedule but if there's an advertising caravan, expect it to pass at least two hours before the fastest race time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the road closures were similar to RideLondon-Surrey and the Tour de France, with roads closing during the night before, no later than 4am, so they can set up barriers, signs and arches and so on, plus have time to tow any parked cars.

400bhp

Guru
Generally they are much more relaxed than the Tour and will shut roads an hour before or less. However, on finishes and finishing climbs in particular expect road closures the night before. Best to drive as close as you can to a mountain and park, preferably not crossing the route so you can get home a little easier.

Then expect to walk uip the mountain.

Top Bottom