W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
May I add, if you are using a BB that has one plastic cup, DO NOT grease that side
I think i do sometimes.
You think the problem is that the grease degrades/cracks the plastic?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I think i do sometimes.
You think the problem is that the grease degrades/cracks the plastic?

I don't know about that, but Shimano frown upon it.

I think it makes the plastic side harder to do up, which increases the risk of cracking it on installation

.....have replaced and removed many BB's in my time. Personally, I hate the ones with a plastic end cap, they always bind up after screwing on about half way. Steel is real.
OK, so 'hate' is a rather strong word - it would be fair to say I dislike them immensely :laugh:

.....have replaced and removed many BB's in my time. Personally, I hate the ones with a plastic end cap, they always bind up after screwing on about half way. Steel is real.
OK, so 'hate' is a rather strong word - it would be fair to say I dislike them immensely :laugh:
I assume the metal ones are functionally the same as the plastic ones across shimano BBs so you can just re-use your well greased metal ones?

I have the idea that un55s use metal. Un26 plastic. Folk feel free to correct/educate me.

Disagree. Strongly.

A good idea to remove cartridge BBs carefully (and replace carefully) now and again and regrease. It's possible for them to seize in place otherwise.

Square tapers are so damn reliable that waiting until it needs replacing may mean you can't get it out.

Happened to me with my first proper bike.

Luckily a bike shop was able to extract it and save my frame.

I would always remove a cartridge BB on a bike soon after buying it. And cover threads in grease.
I've never met a cartridge BB I couldn't get out.

I assume the metal ones are functionally the same as the plastic ones across shimano BBs so you can just re-use your well greased metal ones?

I have the idea that un55s use metal. Un26 plastic. Folk feel free to correct/educate me.
I would say functionality is the same, plastic ones being the cheaper option. As for budget BB's, have used VP brand, which I believe is exclusive to Halfords? Anyways, they are all metal, and no complaints......

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I hate the plastic ones, many a time i have stripped the threads on the plastic side .
I didnt think you were supposed to grease square taper crank arms ?

Gunk

Guru
I've never met a cartridge BB I couldn't get out.

Me neither, I have however on an old Raleigh had to remove the wheels, stick the BB in a vice and use the frame as leverage.

davidphilips

Veteran
Agree if not worn or has any noise then i would not replace it, now you have cranks removed its a good time to remove the Bottom bracket, grease the threads and refit, Just be careful if its an italian thread then both sides are R/H threads.

Gunk

Guru
I use copper slip on everything that one day I may want to remove, pedals, BB etc. Takes 5 seconds to dob a bit on, now comes in a handy pritstick style thingy so I just leave it on the bench.

, now comes in a handy pritstick style thingy so I just leave it on the bench.
[/QUOTE
isn't that threadlocker, not copperslip?

basically, pretty much anything metal on metal, grease it is my approach.

BB shells I use Shimano anti-seize paste.

One thing I will add should you decide to replace it. Make sure you get the right size and width. I had mine replaced recently for a Shimano UN55 which has a metal NDS cup. I did work out the measurement to 110mm but thought that I must have measured it incorrectly as I was told by the cycle agent that it was 113mm. I had the 113mm fitted and it works OK, very smooth compared with the old FSA bb. I usually never believe what people tell me but on this occasion let my guard down. So to recap, if you take the old one out measure it so you know in future, providing that one is correct to start with.

Top Bottom