W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Lake of Menteith was not a lake. It's a mistranslation by the Ordnance Survey of Laich of Menteith, a laich being a low boggy area, which in the Menteith example had a loch at its centre.

See also Atrieve Lake in Selkirkshire, which is not, and never has been, a loch, a lake, a mere, a tarn etc.
View attachment 545923

There are several 'Loch of ...' in Perthshire. Loch of Lowes, Loch of Butterstone etc.
Thanks, I'll file those away so that I can make the same point the next time I'm back up there.
There's no accounting for folk of northern Gowrie. Everywhere north of the Sidlaws is bandit country.. ^_^

What's a sitrep?

Sounds like shorthand for something to do with exercise.

I have conversations with my daughter. It works for us.
It's like a snafu that has not yet progressed to a @Fubar

On a lighter note, I don't think this tabloidish headline is one of BBC journalism's finest hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54057512

Though the story does contain the interesting info that Jammie Dodgers, of dubious nutritional benefit and quite possibly contributing to a lack of lesson attention fuelled by god knows what additives, are pretty much owned by a bunch of canadian teachers. Such is modern capitalism.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
One thing recently made me think about educational standards. I bought £7.96 worth of goods in a shop & the assistant used a calculator to work out my £2.04 change from a £10 note.......:blush:.

Ok, medical conditions notwithstanding & I appreciate some aren't good at maths but heck...that's really, really basic!. Plus, doesn't the till tell you????.

Drago

Legendary Member
One thing recently made me think about educational standards. I bought £7.96 worth of goods in a shop & the assistant used a calculator to work out my £2.04 change from a £10 note.......:blush:.

Ok, medical conditions notwithstanding & I appreciate some aren't good at maths but heck...that's really, really basic!. Plus, doesn't the till tell you????.
I once bought a tool chest. It was an ex display model, so was 50% off from the advertised £200. The lady on the till actually used a caluclator to work out 50% of 200 quid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom