Wahey - did my first open 25 TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Hey Campfire, thank you.

Campfire said:
No cash around those days for sprints & tubs.

No money these days either :smile:

I've only ridden 3 different courses so haven't had the chance to look further afield from where I live - East Grinstead. I've heard that the H25/2 is a real flyer too. I looked up on mapmyride.com and the first 4kms are pure downhill dual carriageway joy which you don't need to climb back up, so if I can't PB there then there's no hope xx(

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I think the H25/2 is the only chance I've got locally of getting under the hour (even then it's a pretty slim chance). I'll try and have a go next year.

Keep us posted Brahan. I just think people go about training more seriously nowadays. I used to go on club run on a Sunday, and do about 17 miles twice a week besides. Rush home from school/college, grab something quick to eat and then out, hell for leather but it wasn't very scientific. I just had my Dad coaching me (he was a fairly fast rider in his day so had lots of experience). I did use the bike for school & other journeys as we didn't have car in those days so I guess you're just naturally fit when you're young if you do do sport. I'm not sure whether Cycling weekly publishes forthcoming events. Are you in a club?

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Campfire said:
Keep us posted Brahan.

Will do. There are some very fast riders there, some of their times....:smile:

You were lucky to be a member of a club when you were at school, I would have loved, that but I got into different sports. I had bikes as a nipper but never even considered racing. I got into cycling last year because I was sick of injuries from rugby and after a car crash smashed up my ribs it confirmed that rugby was no longer an option. You can rock up to any rugby clubhouse over the weekends and see guys in their 50s who are battered and creak, grind everytime they move, I didn't want to be one of them. :tongue:

Yeah I joined East Grinstead CC. They're a really good bunch and have some FAST riders.

How often do you get out on the bike now?

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Well that was a blast. The start was a 3 mile up hill ride from the HQ which was good because it helped serve as a nice warm up. I was 2 minutes from rolling up to the line when my front tyre went BANG. My team mate used a can of instant spray re sealant stuff ti try and fix it but it didn't work. Meh. I was totally gutted. I asked the time keeper if it was ok for me to get a late start if I can fix my wheel and was told yes. So I set off back to HQ but couldn't cycle so I had to run in my cycling shoes all the way back and thankfully a bloke in the car park let me borrow his front wheel. Game on. I managed to get back to the start line and since rider 99 wasn't there I took his place, I was number 42 :smile:

Anyway it was a pretty windy day but I managed to get back with a time of 56:59 but I had 5 secs added as a penalty for not going in my allocated slot but we still managed to take the team event.

OP
OP
B

Brahan

Über Member
Yeah, it was tough all the way out to Charvil wasn't it. Certainly felt good to get the wind on my back for the return leg though. The problem I have with TTs is my concentration. My mind wanders all the time and then I'll think, 'am I doing enough?' and most of the time if I'm honest with myself, I'm not going as hard as I should. Maybe a little red light on my handlebars that flashes every 3 minutes to remind me would be good idea :headshake:

Top Bottom