Wahoo Elemnt playing up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I've got a Wahoo Elemnt bike computer. Lately it's started switching it's self off mid ride. Yesterday I set off pressed start ride and just got n/a in every field. Trouble is the stupid thing is so small I can't read the smaller writing on it without my glasses and I didn't have them with me. I tried randomly pressing the buttons but with no joy. Has anyone had similar, any ideas how to sort it out or should I just hit it with a brick.

Should have known better than to buy a computer from a company that can't spell!!

I've got a Wahoo Elemnt bike computer. Lately it's started switching it's self off mid ride. Yesterday I set off pressed start ride and just got n/a in every field. Trouble is the stupid thing is so small I can't read the smaller writing on it without my glasses and I didn't have them with me. I tried randomly pressing the buttons but with no joy. Has anyone had similar, any ideas how to sort it out or should I just hit it with a brick.

Should have known better than to buy a computer from a company that can't spell!!
It's difficult to understand what the problem is with that description.

First of all, to see better, you can reduce the number of fields on each page (or make your own) in the app. That will make the letters bigger.
Alternatively, the up/down buttons will zoom in and out giving the same effect.

My Elemnt behaved badly once, when I set off not knowing it was mid update. Other than that it only switched itself off when out of juice.

If, for whatever reason, it didn't start to record the ride it does have an automatic "off" function, again set in the app. Was it recording on the other days when it switched itself off?

Is the unit visible in the app? Sometimes the unit needs to be resynced with the app.

You don't say what fields were blank? If external sensors it may be necessary to resync them with the unit via the app (I don't use external sensors).

Failing all that, a factory reset will clear the unit (not the app) and you can start from scratch. The only possible impact (I think) is that any routes on the unit (manually transferred) and any rides (FIT files) not transferred to the app will be lost. Routes, previous rides on the app will not be affected.
A factory reset is accessed through the left hand button.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a d*ick, but randomly pressing buttons rarely helps. Maybe an idea to play around with app and unit at home until you feel a bit more comfortable.

Failing all that, you can google as accurate a description as you can or Wahoo Elemnt Users Group.

And please don't bash your Elemnt with a rock! ^_^ They're discontinued and in my experience are a great bit of kit.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
It's difficult to understand what the problem is with that description.

First of all, to see better, you can reduce the number of fields on each page (or make your own) in the app. That will make the letters bigger.
Alternatively, the up/down buttons will zoom in and out giving the same effect.

I've got it set on "KPH" at the top. Under that km ridden and clock. At the bottom ride time. Like that their big enough to see.

If, for whatever reason, it didn't start to record the ride it does have an automatic "off" function, again set in the app. Was it recording on the other days when it switched itself off?

Yes it did still record.

You don't say what fields were blank?

All of them including the clock.

Failing all that, a factory reset will clear the unit (not the app) and you can start from scratch. The only possible impact (I think) is that any routes on the unit (manually transferred) and any rides (FIT files) not transferred to the app will be lost. Routes, previous rides on the app will not be affected.
A factory reset is accessed through the left hand button.

I don't know how to say this without sounding like a d*ick, but randomly pressing buttons rarely helps.

Yes.

Failing all that, you can google as accurate a description as you can or Wahoo Elemnt Users Group.

And please don't bash your Elemnt with a rock!

Yes, that was meant to be tongue in cheek.

You don't say if the unit is visible in the app?
To check, switch on the unit, open the app and choose "Settings".
(Bluetooth will need to be activated on the phone).
If the app can't find the unit you may need to resync. There are instructions on the screen.

I'm sure this is a simple solve, in any case. Most likely a Factory Reset will do the job.
Good luck.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Contact Wahoo support. They are brilliant. If after a couple of attempts at a fix it still isn't working it's very likely you will be offered a replacement free of charge. Personally I wouldn't waste time trying to fix it yourself, Wahoo support will have the answer.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Didn't finish work in time to go out tonight but I'll give it one more try before contacting them. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom