Wahoo/Garmin/Duotrap sensors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Cant decide what to get after looking at these options:

Wahoo - planning on getting the Roam so using same make sensors make sense, although i hate the cable tie option
Garmin - never a fan of mixing systems/makes but do like the way the cadence sensor attaches
Duotrap S - as I have a Trek I could make use of the space for this but some not so good reports on this.

Who uses any of these and what would you recommend?

I am favouring the Wahoo as could use on the shoe I guess. Tape puts me off as at some point battery will need to be replaced.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The only time I've used sensors was with a Garmin 810. Everything connected smoothly and easily.

My philosophy when buying equipment of any sort which requires connections is to stick with the same brand. So LG TV uses an LG sound bar, Wahoo uses a Wahoo HR strap, etc. My logic is it's all one brand incompatibility is ruled out and one supplier can't blame the other etc.

My wife is having trouble using Amazon Prime on our TV. I've ordered a Firestick to eliminate all the compatibility, connection and app issues.

Broadside

Guru
I had a Garmin for 5 years with speed/cadence sensors GSC-10 on 3 different bikes plus a HRM strap. The Garmin died so I got a Wahoo ELEMNT and it hooked up seemlessly to all three bikes and they have all been trouble free. I was dubious but it all just works. I was prepared to buy new sensors but there has been no need.

DRHysted

Guru
I recently got the Lifeline cadence and speed sensors for a new bike as they were cheapest. Worked with my Garmin Edge 820 and Fenix 3 without any problems.

tom73

Guru
I found a deal that made the all in one package cheeper than just the head unit so only have wahoo set up.
Wahoo works with a wide range of sensors so can't see using others a problem. As for replacing the battery you can do it on the cadence one without removing the tie's. The other advantage of using Wahoo sensors is via the app you can se the battery levels. I don't know if others also show up too.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Is the Wahoo speed sensor and cadence sensor the same size? Had thought about getting an additional speed mount to put the cadence sensor in?

tom73

Guru
Yes same size they fit any of the mounts/holders

mythste

Veteran
The Trek Duotrap system worked well for me with a Garmin 1000 and Zwift. It's really well engineered as well. Just make sure you get the right one, there's two different types of Duotrap and you'll need the right one for your frame.

I'm all for paying a few quid extra for elegant, well thought through design.

Top Bottom