Wahoo Speedplay Pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Speedplay pedals are a pain in the backside when you first get them as the spring needs to loosen up. You do this by multiple repetitions of stomping in and out. The speedplay lite pedal version uses a weaker spring to avoid this problem.

Also the screws on the cleats need to be threadlocked in place or else they work loose over a few weeks. DAMHIKT!

Joffey

Big Dosser
Never had the above issues. I love my Speedplays, the best pedals I've used by far (compared to Look and Shimano).

Milzy

Guru
I've heard good things about them. Your foot sole is closer to the actual pedal which is supposed to be better when racing.

I have speedplay on my summer bike. Great pedals and easy to maintain.
Get the third party plastic cover for your cleats - helps in walking and keeping the cleat clean.
Don't buy the speedplay version with the plug. That's a stupid idea.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
One of the girls on a ride had speedplay, cleat on shoe came loose, not a side of the road job, we waited till we got to the cafe before i put it back on properly. Give me Keo any day.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I use Speedplay after years on Look Keo and can't fault them at all.It took a few rides to get them set up right but as I have them on my indoor bike aswell I had a good old play with them before even going outside:becool::okay:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Curious why you think it’s not a side of the road job? I suspect it’s more about simply being unfamiliar with them a
than any technical issue.
I have to agree.

I have used speedplays for years and love them bar one thing. Do not walk through mud or dust with them, if it finds its way behind the massive circlip spring ( fairly hard to do) you will have a hard time getting out of them. On 2 occassions I have had to coast to a stop in a hedge as my foot would just not come out of the pedal. Only way out was t violently do a heel in movement instead of heel out. Then had to take them apart to clear debris.

derrick

Curious why you think it’s not a side of the road job? I suspect it’s more about simply being unfamiliar with them a
than any technical issue.
Its a lot easier with a cup of coffee, we had to borrow a Philips screw driver. 7 screws.

Last edited:
One of the girls on a ride had speedplay, cleat on shoe came loose, not a side of the road job, we waited till we got to the cafe before i put it back on properly. Give me Keo any day.
I had looks since they first came out and Speedplay are much better. I hate to think how much money I've spent on Look cleats over the years.

Just put the cleat on properly the first time and no issues at all.

iluvmybike

Über Member
You have to accept that any cleat is a disposable item - some need changing more often than others - my hubby gets through a couple of spd-sl cleats in 12 months - i have spds and they are 2 yrs old now

Mark pallister

You have to accept that any cleat is a disposable item - some need changing more often than others - my hubby gets through a couple of spd-sl cleats in 12 months - i have spds and they are 2 yrs old now
Yes my spd sl cleats easily last a couple of years as I tend not do do much walking in them

derrick

I had looks since they first came out and Speedplay are much better. I hate to think how much money I've spent on Look cleats over the years.

Just put the cleat on properly the first time and no issues at all.
They are on properly now, but whoever put them on for her could not of tightened them properly.

Top Bottom