Wahoo Speedplay Pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You have to accept that any cleat is a disposable item - some need changing more often than others - my hubby gets through a couple of spd-sl cleats in 12 months - i have spds and they are 2 yrs old now
My time atac cleats are brass or something. I think I had about 15 years from the last cleats and they still worked. I bought new shoes and treated myself to new cleats too.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I see Wahoo have finally released the power meter version of Speedplay Zero for sale in either single or dual sided versions.

Anyone tempted?
I was looking for replacement speedplay cleats and saw these pop up on the search. My first thought was “Sheet! Who’s selling speedplays with a Limits power meter attached?!” but then read the blurb and realised they were Wahoo’s own.

I know some people seem to get worked up about the Q Factor increase, but my main concern with this style of PM is the potential for damage from the occasional poor clip in or even a mild tumble. And they fugly.

(Limits still seem to be operating on some level, which I wasn’t expecting)

I was looking for replacement speedplay cleats and saw these pop up on the search. My first thought was “Sheet! Who’s selling speedplays with a Limits power meter attached?!” but then read the blurb and realised they were Wahoo’s own.

I know some people seem to get worked up about the Q Factor increase, but my main concern with this style of PM is the potential for damage from the occasional poor clip in or even a mild tumble. And they fugly.

(Limits still seem to be operating on some level, which I wasn’t expecting)
I think Speedplay are pretty robust. Certainly the cleats last longer than the plastic looks.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I think Speedplay are pretty robust. Certainly the cleats last longer than the plastic looks.
Yeah, I'm on about the attached power meter rather than the pedal mechanism.

I've used speedplay for time, originally to see if they'd help a dodgy knee but then just because I found them easier to clip in than one-sided pedal.

As you say, the pedals seem to last an age and the cleat lifetime is reasonable, especially for the newer versions that have the rubber cowl. The only issue I've had is purely my own fault and entirely in character where I failed to re-grease them and ended up seizing the bearing, which then caused the pedal to unscrew during a ride. I managed to get home after 7 mile one-leg drill. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom