Wainwright Coast to Coast on a Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Hi chaps, just bumping this as I'm deciding on date.

Whilst my employer has said they fully support and endorse my planned charity ride, they won't give me the time off for free - it has to come out of my allotted holiday.

SO ... just thinking, would Good Friday - Bank Holiday Monday (22nd April - 25th April) be a good time to do this, or would the roads, B&B's and youth hostels be clogged up?

Also, why on earth is the easter weekend on such a different date each year? Almost a month's difference between this and last year's 'easter'.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The roads B&Bs and YH will be clogged. It's a public holiday and school holiday so expect difficulties in getting accommodation. Get ringing now...

Easter weekend changes from year to year because it is based on the lunar cycle that has no respect for the Julian calendar with its irregular month lengths.

amaferanga

Veteran
Looks like you've decided against the offroad C2C anyway, but if you were to be considering it then don't underestimate just how hard it is. I've tried it twice (both times in winter mind) and both times I have bailed at Shap. I think it gets easier after Shap, but you'd need to be damn fit and stubborn to make it that far even (especially if you were carrying a tent and all your kit like I was). My route took me over Black Sail (in fact it was seeing Nick Crane lug a bike over Black Sail that made me want to do it in the first place). I've done plenty of challenging things on a bike (cycled around several countries in Africa, Paris-Brest-Paris audax, LEJOG in 4 and 1/2 days), but an offroad unsupported C2C is HARD.

If you're doing it on roads then it'll be a breeze in comparison, but I definitely wouldn't do it on the Easter weekend.

400bhp

Guru
My first big ride of the year on April 9 will roughly follow the Way of the Roses route.

Here's the route we took last year and will be a similar route next year.

Way of the Roses

Feel free to ask questions, borrow the route, join us for some of it.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Cheers, think that'll be a little too south for me! But distance is similar - how long are you doing it in?

Also after chatting to the charity I've settled on the date of Friday 6th - Monday 9th of May - every other weekend until then is either some big event (London Marathon, Royal Wedding) or a bank holiday, or both!

So just need to sort out route and possibly a bike as mine may not be in one piece still by then!

400bhp

Guru
Cheers, think that'll be a little too south for me! But distance is similar - how long are you doing it in?

Plan to set off at 6:30 and arrive at 5pm, so 10.5 hrs. Will stop in Settle for breakfast and Ripon for lunch, then make a 3rd stop somewhere 110 miles in.

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
In one day! Blimey - how long is it? The C2C I plan to do is approx 170 miles and I was thinking of doing it in 3-4 days!

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Hey everyone, just bumping this as I have no decided on route, dates, and started to get accommodation sorted.

Here's the route:
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=209708
Any thoughts, tweaks etc most appreciated!

Will be doing it over 3 days between the 6th and 8th of May.

I'm going to be doing some fundraising in the process, so if anyone would like to find out more about what I'm doing this for, and possibly even donate, the link is in my signature below :smile:

lowrider73

Interesting route, Jez. Good mixture of well known routes ie C2C, NCN71 and W2W. I could suggest, head into Whitby, then pick up the Whitby - Scarborough Trail-Rail, which is a nice ride to Robin Hood's Bay.

I hope to get my Coast to Coast done in May, hopefully around the 9th, onwards.

Yes, I like your route
thumbsup.png

400bhp

Guru
Hey everyone, just bumping this as I have no decided on route, dates, and started to get accommodation sorted.

Here's the route:
http://www.bikeroute...x?course=209708
Any thoughts, tweaks etc most appreciated!

Have you checked out the "route using Google Streetview? I always do this now when using Bikeroutetoaster as sometimes it [Bikeroutetoaster] sends you down private roads etc. Simply hover over the roads. If it turns blue it should be OK.

I note you are on the A66 fot a short space of time after Penrith. Check it on Google Streetview as it might be pretty horrendous on a bicycle.

Whinlatter Pass is beautiful but will be hard going.

Tan Hill :biggrin:

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Update!

Did this weekend before last, but have been absurdly busy since so hadn't be able to sit down and get everything together.

Ride went very well ... first day across the lake district was tough and with some SERIOUS hills but good fun- second day was pretty brutal, especially after foolishly attempting to cross a ford on my bike and falling in! After reaching the top of tan hill with serious gusts I'm afraid I had to cheat and get a lift down as it was getting very treacherous and found myself walking with the bike save getting blown off a cliff! Third day however was magnificent, beautiful weather, wind behind me, rainbows and everything.

In the end I raised about £1,270 which with giftaid makes it about £1,620. Pretty pleased with that :smile:

All of that of course goes straight to the charity. None of it paying for my 'holiday'!

Thanks everyone for your donations, feedback, advice and support. Had an exciting time and raised a decent bit of
money.

Some photos up here - which the host has conveniently reversed the order of. Thanks, photobucket.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v652/mahoobley/coast2coast/

Oh and if you didn't get to make a donation and still want to donate here!:

http://www.justgiving.com/wainwrightride

Top Bottom