Waiting list for a watch!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

As I have a landmark birthday at the end of this year I thought I’d plan ahead and look into buying the watch I have always admired.

Contacted one local vendor today who told me that their waiting list was currently closed and the second one told me they have a 3 to 4 year waiting list but are happy to add me to it! Spreading my net further afield waiting lists don’t come any shorter that 18 months. Got my name added to a couple of lists so it’ll be a late present to myself!

Probably explains why second hand values are more than new retail prices.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Just get a cheaper one off the high street and spend your grands on something elce.
But the watch is nice (and I haven’t got room for another bike at the moment! :sad:)

vickster

Legendary Member
What watch is it? Are they obtainable in Switzerland perhaps. Time for a long weekend to go with the birthday present maybe? Lucerne a lovely city, easily reachable from Zurich, a load of watch shops line one street near the lake from memory

Bikes aren't the only things worth spending money on. A watch can indeed be a worthwhile investment as this shows

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User33236

Are they obtainable in Switzerland perhaps. Time for a long weekend to go with the birthday present maybe?
Already looked into that. It’s an ‘on allocation’ watch only and even the approved retailers can’t order direct. They sinply get what they are given each year, and that can vary year on year.

vickster

Legendary Member
Already looked into that. It’s an ‘on allocation’ watch only and even the approved retailers can’t order direct. They sinply get what they are given each year, and that can vary year on year.
Hmm. How much more to buy pre owned. I got my Tag from Watchfinder, the service was very good

As long as it's not an Hublot, ugly things!

OP
OP
U

User33236

Hmm. How much more to buy pre owned. I got my Tag from Watchfinder, the service was very good

As long as it's not an Hublot, ugly things!
Looked at Watchfinder. Adds a minimum of a 20% premium for a watch over 5 years old and outside manufacturers warranty. Any nearly new is silly prices.

vickster

Legendary Member
Must be a Rolex?

My brother has an extremely nice IMC if you want something different

Bear in mind getting such watches serviced if worn regularly can cost hundreds!

OP
OP
U

User33236

If it's the brand I'm thinking of....get on the waiting list of a few retailers and you'll often get a call much sooner than you think. They get a batch of watches in and then the people that they are allocated to have already bought one or decide for other reasons they don't want it. A friend of mine got his special watch in a couple of weeks rather than in 2 years a while back.
Having spoken to a few retailers I reckon that’s the case. Contacted each different retailer I can find and requested being added to their list.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Must be a Rolex?

My brother has an extremely nice IMC if you want something different

Bear in mind getting such watches serviced if worn regularly can cost hundreds!
It’s often something people forget. I’ve got a couple of watched already that cost a fair bit every few years. Which reminds me, my Tag is due in soon.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
IMG_2342.JPG
??????

Top Bottom