Wales Trails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveLewis1

Firstly, can I say, apologies if this sounds like a plug for my latest book (which it kind of is, but please bear with me) because there is much more here. I've taken this post below from a press release so just take from it what you will.

After cycling the iconic Land’s End to John o’ Groats challenge back in 2005 I'd been thinking about setting up a similar ride in Wales. Well, here it is!

'Wales Trails' is a new ride for everyone to enjoy.

The route: A loop of Wales
Duration: As long as you want / two weeks or more
Direction: Clockwise
Start / Finish: You decide / it’s a loop!
Charity: Up to you
Aim: To put Wales on the 'must do' bikers list

The idea was to create a 'LEJOG-lite' in Wales. The famous ‘End-to-End’ ride usually takes two weeks and cyclists cover approx. 900+ miles. The lap of the Principality can be whatever you want but 500-700 miles seems about fair. This means the Welsh ride is shorter and therefore great training for the LEJOG challenge.

However, if you do the ‘Wales Trails’ ride in two weeks the shorter distances per day means there is more time to enjoy and savour the fantastic Welsh scenery and meet the fabulous Welsh people.

This is a chance to put the land of the dragon firmly on the cyclists' bucket list of adventures and also bring in some much needed income to the poor Welsh economy. Welsh B&Bs, bike shops, pubs, cafés and tourist attractions should all benefit!

So if you fancy a challenge with a difference why not attempt a loop of Wales and ride over 500 miles along some of the most stunning coastline anywhere in the world!

Wales Trails (approx. route / distances)

Day 1 - Pontypridd – Three Crosses - 55 miles

Day 2 - Three Crosses – Tenby - 60 miles

Day 3 - Tenby – St Davids - 44 miles

Day 4 - St Davids – Cardigan - 45 miles

Day 5 - Cardigan – Aberystwyth - 71 miles

Day 6 - Aberystwyth – Barmouth - 44 miles

Day 7 - Barmouth – Caernarfon - 39 miles

Day 8 - Caernarfon – Bangor - 60 miles
(via Holyhead)

Day 9 - Bangor – Prestatyn - 45 miles

Day 10 - Prestatyn – Oswestry - 62 miles

Day 11 - Oswestry – Knighton - 44 miles

Day 12 - Knighton – Abergavenny - 50 miles

Day 13 - Abergavenny – Chepstow - 30 miles

Day 14 - Chepstow - Pontypridd - 45 miles

If you want to find out more why not visit my website or pick up a copy of my book, where I outline the vision that one day, Wales, with its rapidly diminishing yet rich cultural heritage, will become a ride that all cyclists will want to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom