Wall Racks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My other half and I used to have a bike each... a bit of breeding (the bikes that is*) and we now have four and will probably need the wall brackets to hang one or two on the wall.

Mr Hamster spotted a type (Mottez IIRC) which works by: you hang the bike vertically from a wheel rim, rather than the type where you hang the bike parallel to the wall using the frame.

Any preferences or advice out there?

Thanks

* They must be breeding... original quota of a road bike and an MTB has produced a hybrid :becool:

P.H

Über Member
Sometimes it depends on the space yuo're trying to fit the bikes in and it's not always obvious how practical they are untill you try it. I've used both types and they work fine, but if the space gives the option I prefer hanging by the wheel for these reasons;
It's easier to lift the bike onto the hook, especially the 2nd bike.
If a wet and dirty bike is hung above another, the mess from it can drip onto the other.
It takes up less floorspace.
I needed something free standing so got a Minoura Closet cyclist, not cheap but an excellent piece of kit. When I first got it out of the box I thought it was a lot of money for what it was, the more I use it the more I appreciate how well designed it is very practical, adjustable and stable.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Minoura_Closet_Cyclist_2_Stand/5360018237/

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd be interested to see the thoughts on these, I was originally looking at a floor rack, but sheer numbers of bikes(7 at present) means that's not practical. I've been looking at the brackets that fit to the wall for hanging by the wheel. I have the obvious newbie concerns around how this impacts the bike, ie can it damage the rims or something? Should I try to get the bracket at a height where the rear wheel touches the ground as well?

buggi

Bird Saviour
what about like in the bike shop? when there is a bar across the ceiling and they hang the bike by the seat? have you thought of that? i'm not sure i like the idea of hanging the bike by the rims (damage to spokes etc)

i also thought hanging bikes by the wheel would either damage or distort the rim. then i realised two things:

a) 10kg of bike is not going to damage the rim more than 14st of me riding it is.

B) most LBS's hang some of their bikes up this way so it's a fairly reasonable assumption that it's OK

not that i've got one mind, but i am thinking about it too!

Llama

Veteran
these people may be worth a look for ideas:

http://www.tuskstore.com/

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I got a Mottez wall hanger a year or so ago and it's fine. Good sturdy fixings onto the wall (NOT supplied by Mottez) and the bikes hang on the hooks, with the rear wheel clear of the floor (could be sitting on mudguards otherwise :birthday:). Can be a bit of a fiddle to insert/extract a bike from the middle - but I don't do that very often anyway.

Certainly, I remember the Mottez being very easy to assemble (a little liquid soap helped slide the plastic covers on) and didn't take long. Drilling the fixings took longer :birthday:

Remember to measure the height of your bikes, esp by the seat/handlebars - 'cos that's how far they will project from the wall when hanging vertically.

Top Bottom