Walney to Whitby and Way of the Roses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GBJS

After a bit of advice on the above routes for a charity ride we are undertaking please folks. The plan is to use W2W from Barnard Castle to Whitby, coast road to Scarborough, NCN Route 1 to Bridlington and then WOTY to York. As we are all on road bikes will there be any parts that won’t be suitable, cheers in advance

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You mention 'coast road to Scarborough' from Whitby which may have been deliberate.

There is a largely off-road path between the two but it is very rutted.

Bike handling skills will come into it, but I would say the path is not suitable for a road bike.

Some would say it's barely passable on a mountain bike, depending on time of year.

OP
OP
G

GBJS

You mention 'coast road to Scarborough' from Whitby which may have been deliberate.

There is a largely off-road path between the two but it is very rutted.

Bike handling skills will come into it, but I would say the path is not suitable for a road bike.

Some would say it's barely passable on a mountain bike, depending on time of year.

Yeah it will be the road, looked at the cinder track I think it’s called but quickly ruled it out

Soltydog

Legendary Member
WOTY to York. As we are all on road bikes will there be any parts that won’t be suitable, cheers in advance

There's a section at Gate Helmsley, near the Balloon Tree that was very rough last time I went over it a few years ago. In recent times when I've cycled that way I've taken a right towards Upper Helmsley. This is my last ride from York https://www.strava.com/activities/1532668151 if you can pick that route up into York it's more suitable for road bikes, although as you get towards the city centre the roads do become a little busy

OP
OP
G

GBJS

There's a section at Gate Helmsley, near the Balloon Tree that was very rough last time I went over it a few years ago. In recent times when I've cycled that way I've taken a right towards Upper Helmsley. This is my last ride from York https://www.strava.com/activities/1532668151 if you can pick that route up into York it's more suitable for road bikes, although as you get towards the city centre the roads do become a little busy

Cheers will have a look at that

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
This is my neck of the woods, and I’m not a great fan of the main road from Whitby to Scarborough. It’s fast, with some bad bends, dips and blind summits, and can be very busy in summer.
If you are a fast chain gang, then maybe. But a group of riders of varying strengths may find it quite daunting.
The cinder path south is all downhill south, and made of....cinders. I’ve done it on a road bike and it’s not fun. You’d get away with a slowish descent if you were all running wide tyres and in no hurry.
Pick up the Wolds Way to get closer to York from Brid, if you need to chalk up some miles before York.
Avoid the Dunnington section by heading for York from Wolds Way via Westow, Dunnington, Osbaldwick

OP
OP
G

GBJS

This is my neck of the woods, and I’m not a great fan of the main road from Whitby to Scarborough. It’s fast, with some bad bends, dips and blind summits, and can be very busy in summer.
If you are a fast chain gang, then maybe. But a group of riders of varying strengths may find it quite daunting.
The cinder path south is all downhill south, and made of....cinders. I’ve done it on a road bike and it’s not fun. You’d get away with a slowish descent if you were all running wide tyres and in no hurry.
Pick up the Wolds Way to get closer to York from Brid, if you need to chalk up some miles before York.
Avoid the Dunnington section by heading for York from Wolds Way via Westow, Dunnington, Osbaldwick

So basically the two options are the main road or the cinder track? We will be turning off on the (A165) as it goes past the accommodation we are staying in

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
The A171 Whitby to Scarborough is the fast, dangerous section. Coastal A road south from Scarborough isn’t great. Route 1 comes out of Whitby and meanders via Robin Hoods Bay and Ravenscar to Brid. Much of it is cinders, some paved, some rutted tracks.
The other option is via the A169, with climbs at Blue Bank and The Hole of Horcum, over the moors. Tends to be less traffic on weekdays and you are more easily seen. Good views, and opps for lunch in Pickering (steam railway etc)

tom73

Guru
Never done A169 by bike but know that way well like @woodenspoons say's you are easy to see on that way and moorland views are well worth it across from the hole of Horcum is a car park so you can stop off for a quick break if you need to worth it just to take in the view. You may even see the train working its way along near the hole. If you are in need of a real rest can always turn off to Goathland and get steam train to Pickering.

Pickering is well worth a stop off can recommend Capplemans fish and chips been going for years never had a bad lot yet nice portion size too. Steam railway cafe is ok too maybe basic stuff but nice and not too bad price. Oh and Botham's opp railway do a mean yorkshire curd tart. If you do go for fish and chips a short way out of pickering is a great pub the Sun inn don't do food but you are fine taking your own. Pickering is also home to a great bike shop if you are in need of stuff.

OP
OP
G

GBJS

The A171 Whitby to Scarborough is the fast, dangerous section. Coastal A road south from Scarborough isn’t great. Route 1 comes out of Whitby and meanders via Robin Hoods Bay and Ravenscar to Brid. Much of it is cinders, some paved, some rutted tracks.
The other option is via the A169, with climbs at Blue Bank and The Hole of Horcum, over the moors. Tends to be less traffic on weekdays and you are more easily seen. Good views, and opps for lunch in Pickering (steam railway etc)

Looks like it’s going to be the main road as Route 1 doesn’t appear great and at the end of a long day don’t really fancy going over the moors and doing extra miles. As it’s this Saturday as well there is the extra headache of logistics of watching the match as well!!!

Top Bottom