Wandering Around WWII Holland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
My wife's uncle died at Arnhem.

"Private Andrew Bertram Evans, son of Andrew Thomas Evans and Ethel Evans, of Heath, Cardiff served with 10th Parachute Battalion. He took part in the Battle of Arnhem during Op Market Garden.

He died between 19th-20th September 1944 aged 22 years old. He is now buried at Oosterbeek War Cemetery, Arnhem.
"

We visited the grave a few years ago, staying at a local hotel. We were particulary taken by the respect the locals had for the british and those that lost their lives.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
We were particulary taken by the respect the locals had for the british and those that lost their lives.

I mentioned in the text that local families or school kids "adopt" graves to tend to them and learn about the victims.

Outside of cemeteries individual monuments are well cared for.

The museum at Overloon was specifically started to educate.

However, it was a bit of a shock to me to realise how many Dutch were unfamiliar with the rôle the Polish played, undertaking a near suicidal mission attempting to cross the river in open boats suffering massive casualties. They have been pretty effectively wiped from the history and it was disturbing to see the rise of anti Eastern European, and Polish specifically, sentiments in the 00s.

Top Bottom