Wandrer Earth - Slowing PC down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Hi all,

I use RWGPS for most of my routing, (although just recently I have also been using cycle.travel) and I like to try and plot routes using the overlay from Wandrer Earth so that I can explore new roads and tracks. But as soon as I add the overlay, my PC literally grinds to a halt, the RWGPS pages are very slow to refresh and respond and it makes any route plotting an absolute nightmare. So just wondering if its a common issue or its my old PC that is the route of the problem?

Turn the overlay off, and no problems at all, pages load and refresh as you would expect them to.

Jody

Stubborn git
Are you at the limits of your RAM or not have much in the way of a graphics card?

Check on task manager to see what's maxing out and locking the machine.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
RAM is fine, I've also looked in the task manager and there doesn't appear to be anything maxing out or draining the PC any more than it should.

But, now you have mentioned graphics card, I suspect that may be the issue :sad: As I said in my first post, its an old PC so I guess its a good excuse to upgrade to a new one now ;)

Dadam

I suspect its the overlay not so much your laptop. I've never heard of it but did a bit of googling.

Found this reddit thread with users having similar issues.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/wandrer/comments/13ij1wq/wandrer_extension_issues_rwgps/

Chrome is also a notorious resource hog. Not dissing chrome, I use it myself but it's hungry of not just RAM but cpu and system resources too. With third party extensions you're also at the mercy of how well or badly they were coded.
How many browser tabs or windows do you have open?

Try shutting down chrome completely, opening Task manager, then the Performance tab (maybe called performance monitor in W10, not sure, this lappy is on W11). Then load RWGPS and the overlay and see what difference it's made.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I suspect its the overlay not so much your laptop. I've never heard of it but did a bit of googling.

Found this reddit thread with users having similar issues.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/wandrer/comments/13ij1wq/wandrer_extension_issues_rwgps/

Chrome is also a notorious resource hog. Not dissing chrome, I use it myself but it's hungry of not just RAM but cpu and system resources too. With third party extensions you're also at the mercy of how well or badly they were coded.
How many browser tabs or windows do you have open?

Try shutting down chrome completely, opening Task manager, then the Performance tab (maybe called performance monitor in W10, not sure, this lappy is on W11). Then load RWGPS and the overlay and see what difference it's made.

I'll give it a try or maybe try another browser. I only have one tab open, that's RWGPS

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Interestingly, l also contacted the guy that runs the Wandrer platform, attached is his reply.

Screenshot_20230623-191745_Email.jpg

Top Bottom