Want a decent road bike for around £200/€250

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanp97

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a decent road bike for around £200. I have been looking online but I don't really know what I am looking for. My intentions for it are to commute but to also go on some cycles too. I would appreciate anyones input!

vickster

Legendary Member
Would need to be second hand to be honest. However, any modern used £200 roadbike is likely to need some sort of maintenance which will obviously add cost in parts

Maybe @biggs682 can help

Are you in the U.K. (you mention Euros in title?)

If wanting new and drop bars, any bike will be extremely entry level. Something like this for £250 from Decathlon https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-100-road-bike-grey-id_8377732.html

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
thanks @vickster

@alanp97 what size frame do you need ? and as already asked where in the uk are you ?

if local to Northamptonshire or if not i could ship to a uk address . i have a Trek 1.1 alpha & a Ribble road bike both in 56cm size the trek has had a fair degree of use but is tidy enough and rides well all things considered , the Ribble has been sat for about 8+ years and as far as i can make out it has never been used at all other than my 3.5 mile road test and is fitted with full campagnolo veloce groupset both can take guards fr & rr so ideal commuting machines . The Trek is on gumtree at £ 175 the Ribble is not advertised yet but would be asking £350+ . Shout if you need or want any extra info

Commuter bikes need mudguards esp in winter. You can play around with velcro or rubber band hacks but the best method is to bolt them to threaded eyelets. You also need sufficient clearance for winter tyres + guards. Some people prefer 28mm width in winter over the usual 25mm tyres of road bikes. If you are using the bike for shopping or touring, rack eyelets can make life easier. As with all eyelets, you don't have to use them if you have them but they carry almost no weight penalty.
A used bike in good condition with generous tyre clearance, using long drop caliper brakes or modern disk brakes, with mudguard /rack eyelets would be versatile and useful.

Top Bottom