Want a fixie but concerned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beeankey

that it might be too hard on the knees.

I'll be using it for commuting to college in August. 4 miles there and 4 miles back.

Does the constant peddling play up with the old knees as you're not giving them any rest-bite by free wheeling at times?

cheers

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It will only be hard in the knees if the gearing is not right for the conditions. I commute 30 miles a day on mine and have done since I knackered my knee playing football (cruciate and medial ligament and on crutches for 2 months)

tyred

Legendary Member
It should be fine but -

Don't over gear it. 60 - 65 inch gear is enough for normal riding. Something like 46/20.

Do the usual checks with regards to correct saddle height, position, etc. It's even more important on fixed in my opinion.

Fit brakes back and front and don't overdo leg braking from high speeds.

It may depend on your knees, but I think you should be OK unless you have a condition that doctors have warned you not to aggravate.

I have a rough and grumpy joint in my left knee, the result of various motorcycle accidents and a carefree approach to healing and repair in my youth. Winter mornings are a pain for me, as are early-morning descents of the stairs... The lack of respite I get with fixed is more a blessing than a pain for my fooked knee.

But pedalling a fixie has never made me wince, from a ride to the shops to accompanying my daughter on a 130-mile charity ride.

The key things are these:

1. Get it set up so that it's comfortable (not a professional bike fit, just take advice and look on the internet)

2. Get the gearing right (I use 67-69", many use lower). Take advice from your LBS on this, as optimum gearing varies depending on use, terrain and general fitness as much as it does on preference.

3. As tyred says above, if you have knee worries, keep both brakes fitted.

If you have an open mind about it, you will love riding fixed-gear. Be prepared for a few surprises initially, when you forget where you are and stop pedalling.

The relative silence, the sense of being 'very connected' to the machine and the negligible maintenance will all become addictive.

Good luck!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I rode fixed for about 5yrs and it certainly helps with the leg strength, got a dodgy knee as well and had no issues riding it even on a 48x16 now. For first timer I woulf go with the general consensus of getting the gearing right. 65-69" should get you over most demanding of terrain. I eventually upped my gearing but that was personal choice for me.

Christopher

Über Member
+lots to advice above. I had less trouble i.e none, with knees riding fixed than freewheel. Only time it hurt was low-speed grinding uphill - which you'll get on any bike.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
My knees used to really give me some gyp but riding has improved them no end and riding fixed seems to have helped most of all. I don't know why - improved blood circulation from not coasting with bent knees? Stronger muscles from getting out of the saddle on gradients? No idea - but my knees feel great.

I use a 46-16 (69") set up and find it ideal in rolling north Shropshire countryside.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Uncomfortable on your backside too as you can't coast while you find a comfy position.

Singlespeed is superior in every way - the invention of the freewheel was progress, lest we forget!

You can still pretend you're on a fixie if you go past a group of girls; just keep pedalling against the brakes even if you're going really slow.

Uncomfortable on your backside too as you can't coast while you find a comfy position.

Singlespeed is superior in every way - the invention of the freewheel was progress, lest we forget!

You can still pretend you're on a fixie if you go past a group of girls; just keep pedalling against the brakes even if you're going really slow.

They've kicked Abu Qatada out and you'll be next!

You simply cannot stroll into an internet cafe, log on and write that sort of sacrilege, blasphemy and nonsense.

Over-react? Moi? I think not! I detest your opinion with every fibre of my being. You should be fed to dogs and then when they've pooed, fed to something that eats poo. And then scooped up and put in one of those poo bins they have in parks.

Thank you. Carry on.

Top Bottom