want to lose weight and get fitter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpendel

I am just starting with cycling and want to get fit an lose some weight.

I only have a basic bike and I ride to word witch is only a few miles away.

How many miles should I be riding to get fit.

JP

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
jpendel said:
I am just starting with cycling and want to get fit an lose some weight.

I only have a basic bike and I ride to work which is only a few miles away.

How many miles should I be riding to get fit.

JP

i got back into cycling by riding the 4.5miles each way to my new place of work last year. if you ride at a pace that leaves you slightly out of breath and makes you sweat you'll soon build up a reasonable level of fitness.

after six months, from being fairly unfit and lardy, i was fit enough to join the local cycling club.

if your workplace has changing facilities and a shower you can go for it (traffic permitting) knowing that you don't have to sit around all day in sweaty clothes.

the type of bike you ride is less important than it is that is well maintained. if you haven't used it for a while, get a local bike shop to give it a service.
also make sure that the seat is the correct height .

Smeggers

Don't we all, don't we all.....

Ride for as fast and far as you can, and you will surely reap the rewards. Then after that, when you feel able, ride a little bit further faster and further still. Then after than, when you feel able........ (you get the drifit I'm sure)

Oh, and eat less pies too.

barq

If you don't already have one, then get yourself a cycle computer. Doesn't need to be anything flash, but being able to chart your progress is a great motivator.

Hello and welcome, jpendel! :biggrin:

All the above advice is good, but as important is having a healthy diet, which shouldn't just be a fad, but developing new, long-term eating habits.
Reduce/cut out any unnecessary sugar (although a few treats are allowed WHEN/IF you have deserved them) except when confronted by a packet of biscuits, then it's impossible to resist! :ohmy:
Plenty of fruit and vegetables, nuts, fish, fibre etc. There are plenty of good diets to be found on the net.

And there's a lot of knowledge and experience here, so don't be afraid to ask; we all had to start sometime! :biggrin:

Happy cycling. :ohmy:

wafflycat

Dependent upon how much weight you want/need to lose, think about joining WeightWatchers. I did that & since February I've lost 63lbs. I've always exercised and exercise alone did not shift any weight from me.

Kovu

Über Member
Iv'e started cycling only to get fit, because i am not overwieght or anything. I do about 3 miles so far, but it will be built up once I can do that many without hurting extremely painfully. I'm building up very slowly.

I'm not doing it to lose wieght like I mentioned, but I find it helps my fitness when I eat alot healthier. I have started having alot more fruit instead of chocolate, and drinking more water.

Anyways welcome xD

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Cycling will certainly help you to get fit, but when it comes to losing weight remember it is calories in calories out. The more you eat the more you've got to ride, so there ain't no substitute for putting in distance. Also remember to build up slowly, don't be tempted to push yerself to too hard at the start, injuries really slow things down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
alecstilleyedye said:
if you ride at a pace that leaves you slightly out of breath and makes you sweat you'll soon build up a reasonable level of fitness.

Made me smile that - as a seasoned cyclist, I still ride eye balls out on a commute, even when I think I'm tailing it off as I reach the office, sweat is pouring off me like niagra falls.....

Just ride as hard as you feel comfortable, then you'll speed up no problem.

I've had a few light years cycling because of damned work, got that back in balance 10 weeks ago, changed jobs, started commuting, etc stopped eating crap during the day, and lost about a stone in that time (7kg's).

I'm 5.9 and weighed in at 90kg's - not exactly big, but too lardy for a keen cyclist. Aiming to stop at 80kg, currently 83kg's as 80kg's was my race weight when I was younger. Dropped 2 points of the cholesterol in this time as well - still not there though, but positive action works wonders. Don't ever fall into the work trap - I did.

Left my desk chained job at the end of May (car commute) and excluding a job I didn't like for a few weeks, I've ended up working 10 miles from home - ideal commute for time wise - 30-35 mins with traffic, reasonable 'wake' time etc. If i need a longer run in/home I can add the miles.

Build the miles into your life - it's easier and if poss commute - you arrive awake and less stressed than driving. Even taking it easy because of a big jam, might only add a couple of minutes on a bike - they are that reliable.

OP
OP
J

jpendel

Thanks for your replys. I dont think I am losing any weight with cycling so far but I do feel like I am getting fiter.

I should probably look at what I am eating to because I am lazy with my food and buy a lot of snacks. I think they are the problem and if I cut them out it will help a lot but its hard.

I will keep trying thought as I am enjoying it.

Shaun

Founder
Think of the cycling as improving your overall fitness levels, and modify your diet to get some control back over your body weight.

The main thing is to enjoy it - if you enjoy it you'll do it regularly and keep at it, so good luck :blush:

Cheers,
Shaun

I'd stick with the basic bike for a while, too. As you get into cycling you can take some time to work out what you want to do next and get the most appropriate bike for the job.

Best early tip I got was keep your tyres pumped up.

Top Bottom