Want to see my insect bite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Keith Oates said:
So when the 'bite' has subsided does that mean you'll join the elite leg shaving members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummmm.. Nah.

Andy in Sig said:
That looks pretty bad. Could it be a horsefly bite? They can be very nasty.

Possibly, I didn't feel it happen though, I seem to remember horse flys give quite a painful nip when they sink their mandibles in.

Dayvo said:
Seeing the picture before reading what Brock had written, I thought, 'Bloody hell, what part of the body is that? Is it meant to be hairy?' :sad:

I've gained at least a couple of inches in the girth of my calf, so if you want me to try and catch one of these flying 'enhancers' for you Dayvo, just gizza nod like ;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Hover Fly said:
I was bitten by a garden orb spider once, on the cheek, it came up like that. It was also very painful, but the doctor at the works clinic didn't believe a British spider could do that.

I saw an utterly revolting clip on the web (could have been ebaumsworld) of someone squeezing a spider bite just under their chin, which had swollen up to the size of a golfball. Now, I have a strong stomach - but that almost made me heave. How can tiny spiders inflict so much damage, especially when they're the harmless kind and not the killer variety ?!

I'm not scared of spiders, but events like these would induce fear into a weaker man than I.... ;)

wafflycat

That's similar to what happens to me if I'm bitten. I take an antihistamine every day & smother any exposed bits of skin in DEET when I'm out. Once, I got bitten on my foot by a spider. The blister was the size of a 50p piece and as tall as said coin stood on its edge. My whole foot was swollen to double size (couldn't get a show on) and this went up as far as my knee. My GP was blissfully unconcerned as he said UK spiders don't bite... yeah, right, so what was that eight-legged fiend that I saw bite me, then? I was like that for over a week and it left a scar on my foot which took voer a year to fade away properly.

CycleWidow

Brock..it does look very sore.
The earlier pic looked like it would resolve with your antihistamine, but the second definitely looks infected. My concern is that you have mentioned that your calf has increased in size since it was "bitten"!
My recommendation is to goto see your GP tomorow or (preferably) if you have a good Out of Hours service at home pop along tonight as a "walk in" and let the Duty Docs have a look (good A and E dept will also be interested in a swollen calf even at this time of night).
Mark the red area with a pen if you are leaving it over night so the doc can see how much its expanding.
If it was me I'd get the antibiotics tonight and be back on the bike earlier!
Jen

I'll send the bill later!

longers

Legendary Member
It does look uncomfortable.;)
A few years ago my mum got viciously attacked by some very small, tiny, insignificant little red ants in the garden. We all got bit as well and came up in little red dots, she had pustules like yours the size of golfballs on her ankles.

She's still got both her legs so don't panic.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Mr Phoebus said:
OMG!!! That's a lycanthrope bite ;) You should've kept off the moors and stuck to the path.

Erk.. Is this all because I wished for immortality on the 'one wish' thread??

Thanks for the advice Cyclewidow, I'll head for the doc first thing in the morning. J.P.Chenet seems to be taking the edge off the pain meantime.

Top Bottom