Wanted - 28" Westwood Wheels or Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KEW

Hi all,
I am trying to source some old 28" Westwood wheels 32 front and 40 rear. Must be non stainless rims as that is too young ideally looking for the old painted style of pre 1930s.

I am up for building a wheel so any rims would be great too. They don't have to be in good condition I am willing to do plenty of restoration or servicing.

So lemme know if you've got any of those old wheels rotting in the back of your shed there :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
28" is the Continental term for 700c (whicb is smaller than 27"). Would Westwood rims have been common in that size? I would have expected most to be the 26" roadster size.

Edit: Ok, I see they use the 28" term for 635 as well as 622. Aaaarrrggggh!

Last edited:
OP
OP
KEW

KEW

28" is the Continental term for 700c (whicb is smaller than 27"). Would Westwood rims have been common in that size? I would have expected most to be the 26" roadster size.

Edit: Ok, I see they use the 28" term for 635 as well as 622. Aaaarrrggggh!

Yes the sizing system is nuts and I don't fully understand it still. I am after the old style 28" there is another size also called 28" like you say just to confuse us. I believe the old style is actually 28" but including the tyre (roughly, tyre sizing didn't vary as much then), it's quite a bit larger than modern 700c or 27".
Also other spanner in the works is that old continental bikes drilled their wheels 36 front and back whereas we had 32 front 40 rear, but I always found it interesting that both standards used the same spoke count in total.

Top Bottom