Wanted: Amazing spec Road Bike for £1000 and under!!! ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Want more than I can afford or wish to pay.... Anyone know of a new road bike (pref full carbon) with an amazing all over spec; groupset, wheels, tyres, seat, seatpost, stem, brakes etc for around a £1000...NO, what a surprise. ;) Trust me to want more for less!

Planet X Pro Carbon Rival £999.99

busdennis

Veteran
i could have asked this very question

im waiting for a hughley discounted end of range bike with lets says 40% off the RRP making the retail price about a grand
dont care about brand just want most bike i can get for my £

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you're willing to do a bit of homework and not in too much of a hurry, you can get some absolute steals at that kind of price on ebay. I recently watched a Trek Madone 5.2 with 100 miles on the clock go for a bit over £700. You're looking at £2-3,000 bikes bought by middle aged bankers/corporate lawyers who decide to get back into cycling, buy a 'money's no object' machine, then find it's harder than they remember, lose interest, leave it in the hall for six months, then resign themselves to reality and put it on ebay.

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

Hey, thanks everyone. I have decided not to rush and make do with the Carrera for now. I am now thinking about a good alloy frame after reading a few things about the cheaper end carbon frames cracking (probably scaremongering I know, but I'll get more for my money with alloy anyway) or saving up and investing in a decent brand/spec carbon. I was tempted by the Mekk from Costco, just for the price £700 inc VAT I've been told but the Giant Defy 1 seems to get great reviews and I've rode my mates Defy 3 and that's much smoother to ride than my Carrera without being as high spec as the Defy 1. I would be interested in a second hand bike which hadn't done many miles but it would have to be a bargain to consider second hand, even with low miles. Cheers again for all the advice.

Ethan

If you're willing to do a bit of homework and not in too much of a hurry, you can get some absolute steals at that kind of price on ebay. I recently watched a Trek Madone 5.2 with 100 miles on the clock go for a bit over £700..

He's very right, but jesus the wait hurts. I had my hands on a beautiful focus cayo 105 until i was outbid at the last minute (nothing I could have done - was at work :sad:). In the end it went for £750 including postage! Brilliant deal imo.
I'm playing the waiting game, but I've got a slightly smaller budget - I still can't make my mind up about going second hand and getting bang for my buck or buying a new rose/canyon and getting a nice shiny bike with a warranty

OP
OP
Powely

Powely

He's very right, but jesus the wait hurts. I had my hands on a beautiful focus cayo 105 until i was outbid at the last minute (nothing I could have done - was at work :sad:). In the end it went for £750 including postage! Brilliant deal imo.
I'm playing the waiting game, but I've got a slightly smaller budget - I still can't make my mind up about going second hand and getting bang for my buck or buying a new rose/canyon and getting a nice shiny bike with a warranty

I know, it's so hard to know what to do for the best isn't it? Hopefully I won't go too far wrong when I finally make my final decision!

Any chance of a link for that? I fancy a gander my self

I don't think they advertise their current offers online, you would need an account with them, or know someone with an account. But I saw the £700 on the Mekk Facebook page. Excellent VFM @ £700 I thought.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Re 'outbid at the last minute', checkout auctionstealer. Just enter your maximum bid, then leave it. It bids on your behalf, 10 secs from the close: you either lose, or you win with the minimum possible bid necessary to beat the next highest bidder.

Top Bottom