Wanted: Fragrant Sweet Box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
As already mentioned in the Rose Knowledge thread, I like to grow scented plants in the front garden for the benefit of passers-by. Apart from the roses, we have lavender, night-scented stock and nicotiana, which pretty much takes care of summer scent.
Two weeks ago, we had an overgrown privet hedge removed and replaced with quite attractive metal colourfence, which opened up quite an expanse of bare soil to play with. Now we need winter scent, which is a bit more difficult to arrange. So far, we've planted a viburnum bodnantense "Dawn" and an osmanthus burkwoodii, but to supplement these I really wanted to get my hands on a fragrant sweet box, sarcococca ruscifolia. The rhs site points to nearby Norwell Nuseries as a supplier, but a) they're shut all month, and b) don't have it in their plant list!
A very faint hope, but does anyone here know of a nursery within 30 miles of Nottingham which has this plant? Failing this, I'll probably ask Zoltan of Jurassic Plants to bring seedlings of s. confusa, s. hookeriana and s. orientalis to the Southwell fair next sunday for us to grow on.

@Fnaar , nothing for you here! Serious question.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Fnaar , nothing for you here! Serious question.
I wouldn't bet on it!

OP
OP
Poacher

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Well, Zoltan hasn't responded, but while returning a malfunctioning pond pump (there's a whole new story there, including explaining rcd and earth paths to non-understanding staff who failed to understand the potential* problems involved with electricity and water, and why my pump tripped out the power supply, until I persuaded the chief salesman to put his hand in the water alongside the pump, which, by the way, they were testing in a non-earthed tank of very expensive koi), to a local garden centre, I found a sarcococca confusa, at a reasonable price, so now I have a sweet box on which to lavish my attention.

*as in voltage

Top Bottom