Wanted - ladies road bike (and advice and inspiration)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordloveaduck

Yes,I've been quite annoyed at the low spec for some of the womens specific road bikes so I'm thinking of going for a mens one but will need to be quite a small frame as I'm only 5ft 1!

lordloveaduck

Yes,I've been quite annoyed at the low spec for some of the womens specific road bikes so I'm thinking of going for a mens one but will need to be quite a small frame as I'm only 5ft 1!

I know how you feel about the womens bikes, they are truly awful unless you are planing on spending thousands (no bike is worth that)

I purchased a Cube Peloton Race (£795)my budget was going to be £650 but i couldn't find a bike in that price range that i thought was
worth it.

There are plenty of bikes out there just search the net Evans Cycles and Cycle Surgery and others, then either talk to them on the phone/email
or pop in store.

The only thing i changed on my bike was the saddle (as i want to live) I ride a 54 and i am 5'6 there are lots of smaller bikes out there.
Patience is the key.

Well my budget is upto £2000 and have been looking at the Cube Peloton.How do you find it?Have also been looking at Cannondale (my husband has a caad 10) and Focus and Boardman.Do you know anything about those?

vickster

Legendary Member
The world is your oyster pretty much for 2k - what frame materials and spec are you considering. I have a 'unisex' bike but then I'm 5'10 and pretty much all women's bikes come up a little small.

Do you have to buy 'off the peg' - I got a custom build - so no extra cost for a ladies' saddle, narrower bars, shorter stem etc - buy off the peg and these will all cost extra if needed, especially as you are petite, you may find that even a small unisex (men's) frame needs these adjustments

Cube and Focus bikes are very good value for money and less ubiquitous on the roads than Cannondale or Boardman (I certainly wouldn't blow that much on the latter - for a big spend, I personally wanted something a bit different from the norm)

Happy shopping - it's fun buying bikes :becool:

I'm a bit of a beginner so not really sure what to look for except I'd like 105 or ultegra group set or sram.I'm very tempted by the cube.What worries me about the focus is that it's carbon and it's a stupid question but how will that hold up in the winter?I don't really want to have 2 bikes.Don\t want to spend 2K on a bike that I only ride half the year.What do you think?

vickster

Legendary Member
Plenty of people ride carbon bikes all year, also for commuting - it is fine. It is the metal bits that need to be looked after in the winter not the carbon bits

However, if you'd rather not, that's fine. Personally, for me the comfort of my carbon bike is such that if it were my only bike, I'd want carbon..

Are you going to commute - it can be tough to find carbon frames that will take proper full mudguards, a rack etc.

Why do you want 105/Ultegra specifically - the thing with top end groupsets, they look good and are better and lighter, but they also cost more to replace - if your only bike and you are planning on doing high miles, the wear and tear could be quite high and thus the maintenance/replacement/servicing costs :smile:

I think it's best go to a top notch bike shop and get advice and fitted. You aren't far from London where there are lots of shops who'll give you sound advice and take your cash. Cube bikes look good and are good vfm, just need to test ride the correct size bike etc

I don't commute.The bike will be purely for pleasure,ha ha!I see what your saying about high maint costs with 105/ultegra.I wanted to go for that as in the future I would like to enter races and such like so would like a fairly high spec bike but that said I don't know that much.My husband is also very into cycling and has given me lots of advice.I'm looking to do long distance/endurance rides for example London-Southend next summer.THe most I've ridden so far is 25miles so am a real newbie but am building up my miles and fitness.I'm a real tech head so read up on bikes all the time!I speak to some bike shops but its so good to get other peoples opinions

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

just to add I have a trek 7.3 wsd hybrid - will a road bike be much different, or am I just fooling myself that drop bars and a lighter skinnier bike will change the way I cycle?

vickster

Legendary Member
You'll change gears in a very different way - and you won't know what gear you are it. You'll also brake in a different way. And your hand will often be in a different position. You'll presumably clip in to the pedals which is a different feeling again to flat pedals. You'll be quicker, as much because the bike will be lighter (probably). The 7.3 is pretty quick and light (and skinny tyred) as flar bar bikes go. I like flat bars for commuting, just easier all round in traffic for me - others will disagree I am sure. You won't suddenly be doing 10mph more though - maybe a couple of mph

Top Bottom