Wanted - Old clamp on downtube shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
Wanted - Old clamp on downtube shifters. Just the clamp will do because I want it so that I can attach cable end bosses to allow me to fit SDI levers. Thanks very much

Will1985

Über Member
I'm currently looking to put a cable stop on the downtube as well - googling came up with 2 neat ideas - blind rivet a boss on (LBS job), or simply araldite/epoxy glue a new cable stop from Campag onto the frame.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Will1985 said:
I'm currently looking to put a cable stop on the downtube as well - googling came up with 2 neat ideas - blind rivet a boss on (LBS job), or simply araldite/epoxy glue a new cable stop from Campag onto the frame.

Hi Will, I've had some new info from acouple of very hepful posters - it might help us?
I'm told they're called "RIVNUTS" looks like a clever idea but I dont fancy drilling the frame. Must admit I hadn't considered araldite etc - mind you, I cant even stick my fingers together with superglue so I'm not hopeful:blush:
It seems that SJS do a little gizmo for £4.99 its essentially a clamp with the bosses already fitted, you just screw on the cable stops. I trawled every LBS for miles and nobody had any old shifters - I was lucky enough to win some Shimano 600's for £3.50 last night on E Bay - Just hope the cable stops fit. I hadnt considered the need for "in line" cable adjusters either I'll send you the link if you need it?

Will1985

Über Member
My situation is complicated by the fact that it is a TT frame with an absolutely massive "oval" downtube. I've checked out the Rivnut - a bit like blind riveting, and will ask LBS next week.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Will1985 said:
My situation is complicated by the fact that it is a TT frame with an absolutely massive "oval" downtube. I've checked out the Rivnut - a bit like blind riveting, and will ask LBS next week.

Mmmm I see your problem?? Rivnuts might be the best way to go. I made a few call to LBS round here and nobody had heard of them... mind you bike shops that do more than sell bits are bit thin on the ground. I got the impression that those rivnuts are used a lot in car restoration - light engineering - maybe thats a direction to investigate? They're cheap enough to buy, its just the fitting tool that's costly. If I come with anything helpful I'll Pm you

Top Bottom